In shock

Lisa09
on 8/24/15 3:54 pm - NH

Oh my, I can't even imagine how disappointing this is for you when you were working toward WLS.  But, DO NOT GIVE UP.  Fight, if you can. But, DO NOT GIVE UP on YOU or WLS.  It may be delayed, which is awful and terrible and not fair.  But, DO NOT GIVE UP. Talk to your health providers and set up a goal for February. It'll come one way or another, so you may as well be working toward your goal.  Trust me, don't be defeated.  Be strong and courageous!

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/24/15 4:03 pm

Unfortunately - a lot of what is considered a full time- for coverage is requirement from insurance.   

Working 4 days a week plus taking time off for vacation and sick time is really what caused the "less than minimum".. 

as other said - you may be able to get cobra... orjsy wait till next year.. 

Just make sure that the next year insurance option will still cover WLS... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/15 4:40 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I'm really sorry you're in this position. As the most impatient person in the world, I'm hardly the one to say this, but it's not the end of the world, and you can use the time to your advantage. I was originally scheduled for surgery on March 19, 2012. It didn't happen until May 4, 2015, due to a combination of other health issues, finding out the VSG was a bad fit for me, moving across the country and switching jobs, getting insurance that actually covered WLS, but having to wait 2 years before I qualified through the new insurance. I spent October 2014-May 2015 getting myself in the best position possible for surgery. I made a lot of psychological changes and dropped my BMI significantly, making my recovery easier both physically and mentally. The wasted money sucks -- I was going to be self-pay in 2012 and had already sunk thousands of unreimbursable dollars into preparation for a surgery that didn't happen -- but the time doesn't need to be wasted. When life hands you chicken sh*t, make chicken salad (but with Greek yogurt instead of mayo...lots more protein).  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/24/15 6:06 pm - OH

I agree that you should see if there is any way to fight it since they did not make the situation clear, but even if they cannot change it, everything you went through isn't for nothing!  

It just means that -- because you didn't understand the impact working four days a week (and taking vacation and wick time) -- you'll have to wait until February or March of next year to have surgery.  I understand that you are upset (I think anyone would be!), but waiting six months is not the same as not ever being able to have the surgery done.  Yes, you may have to repeat some of those things, but  some of them will likely still be applicable in 6 months.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

crystal M.
on 8/25/15 10:02 am - Joliet, IL

Rather than COBRA, which can be pricey.  Can't you get insurance through your state (or the Obamacare thing).  Granted I am the last person to ask because I know nothing about this sort of thing.  But because they past that law that everyone has to have health insurance or pay a fine....they have where you can get insurance through your state.  At least that is my basic understanding.  Just pick one that your doctor accepts. 

mute
on 8/25/15 11:12 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I would be devastated personally even though it's not the end of the world as the other posters have mentioned. For me just getting myself to the point of preparing to make the decision was hard enough but to get that far and then realize it wasn't going to happen when I though it would would definitely crush me. I'm so sorry :(

But I agree that there probably isn't much you can do if it was in the employee handbook. I'm not blaming you for not realizing it, but saying that you probably don't have much recourse if it's in there. I would look into alt coverage just to have insurance during that time (but not COBRA if you can help it since that's so expensive) and try to keep on a good diet during that time as well.

I'm sorry that you have to wait longer. I'm ridiculously impatient, I would have a hard time with that.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

HuskerBrenda
on 8/25/15 11:14 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 09/23/13

Since the ACA went into effect, full time for purposes of health care coverage is 30 hours/week. Have you been working at least 30? If so, then you really do have a complaint.

45y/o  5'4" Sleeve 9/23/13 Dr. Thomas White  HW 245; SW 232.8; CW 141.8

MelodyMay
on 8/26/15 6:17 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

I spoke to the HR department and was basically told that they didn't have to repeat the information to me. If I didn't call them and ask if the small drop in hours would effect my Medical, then they are not legally required to inform me. I was told I could file an appeal but if denied, any Dr. Appts I went to during that time frame wouldn't be covered and would have to be paid out of pocket. I tried to sign up for the Affordable Healthcare but I have no idea which one of the ones available to me would cover my WLS so I just went with COBRA ($393 A MONTH!!) At least that way, my benefits stay the same and I don't have to wait until next Feb to start my whole 6 month insurance hold again...Waiting until next August is too much for me. I'd rather pay the $2,300 for insurance until Feb and get to have my surgery before the end of this year..I could be 10 months post surgery by this time next year! Worth the $$....I'll be saving $$ on food anyway, right?

Melody

HW: 394 SW: 359 GW: 187

kathkeb
on 8/26/15 7:41 pm

It sounds like you have a plan that you can make work, congratulations!!

i self paid for my surgery rather than wait a year to change to my husband's plan ...... Sometimes, when you are ready, you are ready.

i was lucky to be able to afford that decision.

by the time insurance would have paid, I was at my goal weight!

best of luck to you!!!

Kath

MelodyMay
on 8/28/15 1:52 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

That's exactly how I feel. I am ready for this. If I have it now, I could lose 100 lbs before next August. Falling a full year behind is just unacceptable to me.