Is anyone here 18-25 that had the gastric/lap band?

Laura in Texas
on 8/29/15 2:29 pm

Are they saying you cannot have kids if you have a weight loss surgery other than the lapband? Because that is not true.

Many surgeons are not even doing lapbands anymore. Please do your research. I know a lot of people who have the lapband and really only 2 I know have lost most of their excess weight and have kept it off. The overwhelming majority are bigger now than before surgery. Even my 2 successful lapband friends wish they had had the sleeve.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Fuffypuff
on 8/29/15 3:11 pm

He basicly made it seem like it was my only option. I told him I'd think about it. I've been looking into any and everything I could find about the surgery. The more I look the more I don't want it. My mom has the sleeve and I'm going to go to her doctor for my second opinion.

MsBatt
on 8/29/15 7:25 pm

Oh honey! Find a different surgeon, ASAP! With your BMI, the DS is *probably* your best option for long-term success. The DS has the best stats for maintained weight loss for patients of any size, but especially for those with a BMI greater than 50. As for kids---you might change your mind, but trust me, lots and lots of women have had safe, healthy pregnancies after any form of WLS. I even know one DSer who was a surrogate mother for her sister!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/29/15 3:29 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On August 29, 2015 at 2:29 PM Pacific Time, Laura in Texas wrote:

Are they saying you cannot have kids if you have a weight loss surgery other than the lapband? Because that is not true.

Many surgeons are not even doing lapbands anymore. Please do your research. I know a lot of people who have the lapband and really only 2 I know have lost most of their excess weight and have kept it off. The overwhelming majority are bigger now than before surgery. Even my 2 successful lapband friends wish they had had the sleeve.

Oh no. I had RNY. You mean, I might never be able to get pregnant?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Felicity Q.
on 8/29/15 3:03 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Yes, please continue to do research. My surgeon said it was OK to get pregnant any time after the lap-band (since they could just un-fill the band), the only generally recommended caveat about having another surgery is waiting until your weight stabilizes after about 18 months before looking to conceive.  If you're not wanting kids regardless, then it should definitely not be a selling point on getting a lap-band. 

If you have a surgeon recommending a lap-band for you, I would run away as fast as my legs would take me! (So in my case, walk... lol)

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Fuffypuff
on 8/29/15 3:16 pm

Lol, thanks for the advice. I'm just going to go to another doctor and get a second opinion.

MAchick
on 8/29/15 4:09 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

WLS doesn't mess up your ability to have kids, if anything it can make you more fertile! I had the sleeve when I was 27. One if the main driving forces was to put me into a better position to have children. 

I, personally, would steer away from the lap band. Find another surgeon and another opinion. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/1/15 9:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'll vouch for the fertility aspect, I had my IUD yanked 12 months after VSG and was pregnant 3 weeks later :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Neesie57
on 8/30/15 9:58 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

One of my best friends had VSG 2 ½ years ago, and had a very successful pregnancy 18 months later. So tell your PCP that WLS does not inhibit pregnancy at all.  In fact, it can make you much more fertile because of the weight loss. 

When I asked my surgeon about Lap Band, he said the only LP surgeries he does anymore is taking them out.  They have a high failure rate, and can cause many more complications that RNY or VSG.

Good luck with your decision.  I'm sure you and your surgeon will make the right choice for you.

Sweetoctober15
on 9/1/15 8:32 am - Canada

im 22 and im debating it my dr thinks its a great idea im 200 lbs