Any RNY vegans out there?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/27/15 6:22 pm - OH

You will likely need to purchase some of the pea or soy protein powder supplements (rather than the whey or egg white powders).  There are several out there, but the vast majority of protein supplements are whey protein...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

gbsinsatx
on 8/27/15 7:33 pm - San Antonio, TX

I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. I eat at least 60-100 grams of protein a day. I eat dairy products (cheese, yogurt) and I occaisionally eat eggs. I eat simple carbohydate fruit. I eat complex carbohydrate beans, vegetables and whole grains. 

Even though a complete Vegan way of eating is enticing to me, it would be very difficult to maintain. I am very diligent in eating healthy but for me to be completely Vegan would entail a lot more effort than I am currently putting in. Besides I love cheese and the the Vegan alternatives of cheese are not appetizing to me.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

boudiceatx
on 8/28/15 3:48 pm

I'm with you on the vegan cheese.  All that I have tasted is pretty terrible.  It's like eating flavored pieces of plastic.  No Bueno.

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/15 11:04 pm

I've eaten largely vegetarian since my surgery four years ago. I eat a lot of beans rice and beans ( complete protein) quinoa yogurt and dairy. I am as healthy as a horse and do not supplement with protein shakes ever. I do occasionally eat fish and even meat though  _usually every few days . Based on my experience I think a vegan diet might be very possible post op and frankly I'm tempted to try it 😀😀

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/15 1:35 pm

Hi ! I just wanted to correct few misconceptions I read in the ( well meaning ) replies to your question. I eat seitan ,tempeh,  tofu, tofu and almond milk cheeses all  the time and have since very early post op.  Baked beans w cheese are everyones post op staple lol ... not just vegetarians'.  I sincerely  believe you can live happily vegan after a bypass.  

I myself eat a lot less protein than recommended here however i have experienced  no adverse effects regarding  my health or weight.  I am still a comfortable size 0/2 five years post op have never dieted, go hungry, gotten sick ( my gallbladder,  teeth and other organs are happily intact and problem free) .  I do make a lot of self help meetings to deal with various family issues and compulsive overeating / addictive behaviors though .  I look at it as free counseling lol.  

As a semi-vegetarian I find it necessary to eat over the six servings of fruit and fresh vegetables recommended for optimal health .  I also juice and absolutely love the effect kale juice and other veggie juices have on my skin and stamina.  Vegetarian diet post op is bulky enough that its very hard  to overeat calorie wise unless you like dessert lol.  I don't crave sweets usually ( i dump).  Vegetables and lots of rice n beans give e the energy i need to run, swim  and/or rollerblade for miles almost every singe day . I love eating vegetarian ! Its super tasty super filling and you look GREAT :) Good luck with your upcoming surgery!  (((())))

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/31/15 7:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On August 31, 2015 at 1:35 PM Pacific Time, meeow3 wrote:

Hi ! I just wanted to correct few misconceptions I read in the ( well meaning ) replies to your question. I eat seitan ,tempeh,  tofu, tofu and almond milk cheeses all  the time and have since very early post op.  Baked beans w cheese are everyones post op staple lol ... not just vegetarians'.  I sincerely  believe you can live happily vegan after a bypass.  

I myself eat a lot less protein than recommended here however i have experienced  no adverse effects regarding  my health or weight.  I am still a comfortable size 0/2 five years post op have never dieted, go hungry, gotten sick ( my gallbladder,  teeth and other organs are happily intact and problem free) .  I do make a lot of self help meetings to deal with various family issues and compulsive overeating / addictive behaviors though .  I look at it as free counseling lol.  

As a semi-vegetarian I find it necessary to eat over the six servings of fruit and fresh vegetables recommended for optimal health .  I also juice and absolutely love the effect kale juice and other veggie juices have on my skin and stamina.  Vegetarian diet post op is bulky enough that its very hard  to overeat calorie wise unless you like dessert lol.  I don't crave sweets usually ( i dump).  Vegetables and lots of rice n beans give e the energy i need to run, swim  and/or rollerblade for miles almost every singe day . I love eating vegetarian ! Its super tasty super filling and you look GREAT :) Good luck with your upcoming surgery!  (((())))

Not EVERYONE... I can't stand the texture of baked or refried beans and don't eat them. ;)

Worth noting to the OP: because ONE person can do something and report no health issues, that doesn't mean that it could or should be a recommendation or endorsement. Medical decisions and guidelines are based off of many, many patients' data gathered over time. There's a solid scientific reason for the "mostly protein, very little carbs/fruit" rule.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/15 5:05 am

Perhaps ... then again I have every reason to mistrust the medical establishment lol .. I was told as an overweight  teenager that i would never be skinny ... that it was hopeless and docs almost killed me with rebounding asthma drugs ( where gentle exercise and a dust free home is my workable solution) .  I see a lot of gallbladder issues on here and wonder at the link between excess protein intake and chronic health problems .  We don't malabsorb protein I believe so why are forcing ourselves to eat so much of it ?  The real reason may be weight maintenance which is NOT the same thing as health .  In my opinion based on personal experience its better to take off the empty fat cells permanently with PS and so reduce the body's pressure ( and appetite ) to regain rather than try to suppress the appetite by living on a diet of protein shakes and low carbs .  (((()))