Where do I even start?

amanaka
on 8/19/15 8:48 pm

Help!

I don't even know where to start. What information do you wish you had when you first started considering the procedure? Where can I go to find more information on pricing, surgery wait times, etc

Thanks!

boudiceatx
on 8/19/15 10:54 pm

When I first started researching weight loss surgery I was interested in finding a surgeon who was very experienced and not associated with a teaching hospital.  I live in Houston and we have a lot of teaching hospitals here, so I chose a surgeon in private practice to ensure I didn't end up with a new resident helping out with my surgery.  I actually googled the topic and came up with my surgeon's website.  He had done thousands of the surgeries, so I made an appointment to talk to him.  He ended having a great bedside manner and that coupled with his experience and I was sold.

On my surgeon's website you can email with questions about price, etc and they email back.  They were really helpful in answering all my questions.  That's how I went about it. 

I can't think of anything I wish I had known prior to the surgery.  I felt like the surgeon did an excellent job of telling me the truth.  He explained the risks, the benefits, etc. 

I love my surgeon.  I'm glad I chose him.  Worth every penny.

Poodlemac
on 8/20/15 5:12 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Who was your surgeon?

boudiceatx
on 8/20/15 9:34 am

Matthew St Laurent, MD.  I can't say enough good things about him.  He was wonderful. 

alieskia
on 8/20/15 4:22 pm

i bought "bariatric surgery for Dummies" GREAT book for me

rocky513
on 8/20/15 4:48 am - WI

You can start here!  Use the search function ( the little magnifying glass, in the blue bar, at the top of the screen).  Type in your question and you will get thousands of responses from people who live this life daily.  You will have to do a lot of reading.  I spent a couple of YEARS reading up on the surgery and researching complications and lifestyle changes that would have to be made.  

I don't think there has been a question that has not been asked on this site!

Good Luck!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

zann50
on 8/20/15 6:15 am

Honestly, I wish I had focused more on questions regarding the way WLS patients must eat for the rest of their lives.  Out clinic's NUTS actually know very little regarding the great differences between what effects/affects of the different surgeries.  All of us were placed in the same box! 

We were all told we would dump, all to be on low-fat diets etc.  They truly were informed on RNY and little to nothing re: VSG or DS.  The primary RD said that almond milk was not an option because it was full of sugar??  Really??  That was the last post-op support group I attended.  I mentioned Atkins diet at that session and her response was one of disdain.

last, the pyloric valve...or lack of...huge need to understand with RNY was never discussed.

Zann

VGS- 2015

gracie88
on 8/20/15 6:21 am
RNY on 08/26/15

My PCP mentioned the surgery to me, I checked my insurance to see if it was covered, it was.  The next appointment he made me an appointment for one of the seminars.  I got the info from the seminar, filled out the paperwork, including a signed letter from my dr, submitted it to the clinic, they contacted me to set up my first appointment.  Here I am almost a year later, surgery is next Wednesday.  It was a long journey, but I think it is going to be worth every hoop I had to jump thru.  Good Luck!!

Seminar Sept 2014 - 221

First 6 month weigh in - November 2013 - 220

Surgery Day 8/26/15 - 199

Current Weight (9/1/16) 128.0  RNY  5' 2"

Felicity Q.
on 8/20/15 7:24 am
DS on 09/28/15

The one thing I wish I had researched and known more about was the long term SUCCESS RATE of the different weight loss surgeries. I originally chose the Lap-Band because it was advertised as being 'minimally invasive', 'easily reversible/adjustable' etc. Later on, after the lap-band didn't really work for me, I discovered that it has an abysmal long-term success weight, and that many who lose weight with it regain after a short amount of time.  So that's my "live and learn" advice!

Regarding the process... Some insurance companies require you get a referral from your PCP to see a bariatric surgeon. Mine did not, so I searched online for local surgeons that were covered by my insurance. I happened to know someone who had used the surgeon I chose, and was happy to find out he was in my network.  From there, the best source of information for me was to schedule a consultation. Some surgery centers offer free seminars on weight loss surgery that are open to the public if you don't want to pay for an appointment, or if you're not yet ready for that step.

For my first surgery in July 2011, I started the process in February 2010 when I had my first consult. It took this long because I had difficulties in obtaining a 5-year weight history because I had changed doctors often, and I also procrastinated on the nutritionist appointment and psych evals.

Right now I am in the approval process for a revision surgery (Revision surgery means converting from one weight loss surgery to another, or to have your current surgery 'revised' to be more effective). I started this process by making an appointment for a consultation with a surgeon on June 19th. Today (Aug 20th) I will find out if approved.  If I am, they are scheduling surgeries about a month out, so around Sept 20th. All in all, this is a much shorter process -- not because of less requirements, but instead I am more motivated and was quick to do all of the necessary steps.  So, even between my two surgeries, It was 17 months for my first surgery and (hopefully) only 3 months for my second.

The length of time between starting the process and surgery is a little different for everyone. Depending on your insurance, you may be required to have some (or all) of the below before your insurance will approve you for surgery:

- 3 to 6 months medically supervised diet

- Meeting with NUT (Nutritionist) to discuss eating habits post-op

- Psychiatric Evaluation

- Medical records for past 5-10 years that include height/weight or BMI

- Cardiologist appointment (EKG or Stress Test)

- Sleep Study (to see if you have sleep apnea)

- Clearance Letter from your PCP

- EGD (Upper Endoscopy)

Some surgeons/insurances also require a pre-surgery diet or set amount of weight loss as well.

Hope some of this is helpful!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

gerinurse1375
on 8/20/15 8:11 am

I jumped through hoops to be approved.  Went to the info session, chose a surgeon, started the program, which meant compiling numerous things ie...sleep study, EGD, colonoscopy, psych eval, labs, angio, you name it.  Then I had to lose 5% of my TBW and the hospital I went to likes you to do South beach.  I did basically SB and Adkins.  I had to weigh in and see the NP at least once a month and surgeon did another EGD.  3 months into the program I was given the go ahead for surgery, however my insurance company required being in the program for 6 months total.  (Insurance companies way of trying to get you to quit or fail).  I spoke with a lot of people who had surgery prior.  The hospital I go to pushes the sleeve but I was not a candidiate so RNY is what I had done.  It's an uphill battle but if you're willing to stick with it you can prevail:)