Gallbladder surgery coming soon any idea how much to add sleeve?

SUZLANGUG
on 8/19/15 8:03 pm

Hi!  I have recently been diagnosed with Gallstones and have to have the surgery to remove it.  My insurance does not cover weight loss, but does cover the gallbladder.  Kind of excited as maybe I can pay for the sleeve personally.  Any ideas how much the sleeve will cost to add?  Is this a good idea too combine the surgeries?  Thank you and good luck to all.

White Dove
on 8/20/15 12:49 am - Warren, OH

Prices vary but the neighborhood of $15,000 would be an average. 

The problem with self pay is that then insurance will not cover any complications and those could be much more expensive than the surgery itself.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/15 8:59 am

Also the doctor who does the gall bladder may not do WLS. 

MickeyDee
on 8/20/15 9:25 am

If cost is not an object, then discuss the advisability of dual surgeries with your physician.  I personally don't believe most gastroenterologists or other surgeons would care to combine the surgeries, but you need to talk to your doctor about it.

boudiceatx
on 8/20/15 9:57 am

Price varies by location & experience of the physician.  I was self pay but needed a hiatal hernia repair at the same time so they discounted the cost of the sleeve (insurance picked up the cost of hernia repair). If I had paid out of pocket without a hernia repair I think it was 15,000, but with the hernia repair my sleeve was discounted I believe to 12,500.  I'm not sure if they would do a gallbladder repair at the same time, but they might. Find a bariatric surgeon who has done other types of surgery and they might be willing to do it.

SUZLANGUG
on 8/21/15 6:59 am

Thank you for the help.  

Neesie57
on 8/22/15 12:01 am
VSG on 08/04/15

My bariatric surgeon is also a general surgeon, so he would be able to do either surgery, but I don't know if he would do them both at the same time.  I'm sure a lot of bariatric surgeons are also general surgeons, so you need to start calling doctors and ask them.

Felicity Q.
on 8/22/15 1:46 pm
DS on 09/28/15

I have read of some other people on OH who went in for a WLS and had their gallbladder removed at the same time.  So it technically CAN be done.

I had an opposite situation (sorta). I was in the pre-approval process for a lap-band and was diagnosed with gallstones. My PCP said I need to have my gallbladder removed. I asked my bariatric surgeon if he also did those procedures and he said he could.  So I had my WLS surgeon do my gallbladder. I suggested "can I get my lap band too?" but I was nowhere near being approved for that, and my gallstones were too bad so we just did the one surgery, then a year later I got approved for the band and had that surgery with the same surgeon.

So for me - didn't do them at the same time, but it can be done! And bariatric surgeons remove gallbladders pretty often, is my understanding.

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

SUZLANGUG
on 8/22/15 2:51 pm

Thank you. Keep up the good work on u!  I am hoping it won't be much more for sleeve as my insurance doesn't cover wls.