I'm confused, is there a chance the surgery didn't take?

DSantiESQ
on 8/18/15 3:59 pm - Yonkers, NY

Hi,

i had my surgery a week ago today(gastric bypass) and I'm literally able to consume a substantial amount of water without discomfort. My cousin had the sleeve done over a year ago and cannot drink as rapidly as I can now. I was under the impression that it would take me about an hour to consume 16 oz but I can do it in maybe 20 minutes. Is there a chance the surgery did not work for me? I honestly feel 100 percent even had a slice of avocado with absolutely no issues!

White Dove
on 8/18/15 7:09 pm - Warren, OH

The amount of swelling and how rapidly it heals varies from person to person.  I could consume that much water after a week.  Some people are still sipping carefully months later.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

DSantiESQ
on 8/18/15 7:19 pm - Yonkers, NY

Thanks white dove if you don't mind me asking when were you able to eat small meals honestly my body feels great considering.

White Dove
on 8/19/15 4:24 am - Warren, OH

Rocky answered that perfectly.  A lady from my surgical group advanced her diet too quickly.

She started passing blood from her rectum.  She was rushed to a hospital and opened up to repair a leak.

She had lost a lot of blood and her family was called to the hospital so that they could say Goodbye.

She pulled through but ate only what was on her plan.

The least problem you will have with the eating off plan will be not losing weight.  The worst will be dying.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

rocky513
on 8/18/15 12:19 pm, edited 8/18/15 12:20 pm - WI

Lucky You!!!  Water goes right through our pouch because we no longer have a pyloric valve.  The sleeve retains the pyloric valve at the bottom of the stomach.  

Everyone responds differently.  Drinking won't cause a problem.  If you can drink without pain, then DRINK!  The fluids are good for you.  Just remember to NOT DRINK while you are eating or for at least 30 minutes after you eat.

Also remember that all the nerves in your stomach were cut and you will not get the full sensation for several months.  This is why it is so important to measure your food portions and STOP EATING when you have finished.  

Follow your doctor's program to the letter.  Are avocados on the list of foods you are allowed to eat 7 days out from surgery?  Most of us are on "liquids only" at one week out.  Pushing your food progression too fast can cause serious complications, like suture ruptures.  The doctor gave you rules for a reason.  Stop experimenting to see if you will have issues.  Now is the time to adhere to the program, strictly, and learn new ways to feed yourself.

Comparing yourself with others who have had WLS is never a good thing.  We are all individuals on our own WLS journey. 

Best wishes!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

DSantiESQ
on 8/19/15 4:32 am - Yonkers, NY

Thank you guys for being so forthright it really put things into perspective this is definitely a huge change and learning experience for me and can definitely use all of the information and advice I can receive!