too skinny?

boudiceatx
on 8/19/15 5:01 pm

I had the sleeve on 7/30/15.  I had some of the same concerns as you do.  My BMI was not quite high enough for insurance to cover, but I was still in the obese category.  I did it because I compulsively overeat and it has controlled my life. I needed some help stopping the compulsion.  I tried therapy, diet after diet, etc.  I didn't want to wait until I was diabetic before I did something.  I already had high cholesterol and was pre-diabetic.  I am so, so glad my surgeon agreed to do the sleeve.  Because of the compulsive eating I had some concerns I might go in the other direction toward too much weight loss, but I don't think that's going to happen because that's not my goal.  My surgeon and nutritionist told me to avoid sugar free stuff while on the clear liquid/full liquid diet because my calories were so low.  I'm not sure if that's what they tell everyone to do, but that's what they told me to do.  My surgeon also told me that of the sleeves he has done on people with lower BMI like you and I, they all met their goal weight.  Do what is right for you.  My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner.

TinaLaFina305
on 8/20/15 4:19 pm

Oh my goodness thank god! Finally what I was hoping for : SOMEONE WHO CAN RELATE! 

thank you for sharing! I felt as though I was reading my own success story! I really needed to hear your input I feel a little better and at ease as I wait for my approval 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/20/15 5:01 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You're listening to someone who had surgery three weeks ago, and dismissing the advice from people further down the road.  Wow.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

boudiceatx
on 8/20/15 5:55 pm

Yeah, I definitely relate.  I guess some people who were heavier may not understand my decision, but it is something I really thought long and hard about.  I felt like it made sense to act before I was diabetic, had heart disease, was hypertensive, etc.  I use to work on a stroke unit so I knew very well where my obesity could lead.  My surgeon would not have done my surgery if he didn't think it was the right thing to do.  I'm sure your doc feels the same way.

TinaLaFina305
on 8/20/15 6:53 pm

Of corse your surgeon wouldn't have done it if he didn't think it was the right thing to do. 

Ignore these hags! You did what you had to do the same way I'm going to do what I have to do for me 

it is unfair for them to expect someone to get to that extreme of unhealthy to intervene. I know they regret waiting that long and are taking that anger out on us 

once upon a time they were 3 weeks postop shame on them

MY blog was intended for positive vibes and people like you who can relate 

love your intentions vibes and story thank you so much for sharing 

Gwen M.
on 8/20/15 7:14 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Hags?  Seriously?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/20/15 7:44 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On August 20, 2015 at 6:53 PM Pacific Time, TinaLaFina305 wrote:

Of corse your surgeon wouldn't have done it if he didn't think it was the right thing to do. 

Ignore these hags! You did what you had to do the same way I'm going to do what I have to do for me 

it is unfair for them to expect someone to get to that extreme of unhealthy to intervene. I know they regret waiting that long and are taking that anger out on us 

once upon a time they were 3 weeks postop shame on them

MY blog was intended for positive vibes and people like you who can relate 

love your intentions vibes and story thank you so much for sharing 

Posterity 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/21/15 1:09 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Well from one Light weight HAG to another - I'll say that I hope you don't have any complications, food intolerances, head hunger, saggy skin, vitamin questions, psychological issues associated with WL or any other issues that might bring you back to all of us experienced Hags and needing our input.  Because, wow, you've just alienated a lot of folks who are only here to offer help and support.

It was skilful on your part, actually.  I'll give you that much.  I haven't seen the likes of your kind of posting in a long time. Maybe you should go back to Instagram or try to find support on a non existent European support site where you'll find what you are looking for.  

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

TinaLaFina305
on 8/21/15 12:57 pm, edited 8/21/15 12:58 pm

More than 5 ppl were not nice to or about the only blogger whom related to my original post only because she is a month post op or maybe even because I actually had someone on my end of the spectrum. And they only thing dissected was the word HAG  every thing else thrown out the window .

which is a lesson learned on my part. If I supply no fuel the fire will not burn. I will be killing em with kindness from now on.

my original post was posted in hopes more people LIKE HER reply not a debate on why or whether i should or shouldnt but the experiences on Lower surgery weight PTs

sorry vets there are 1000000 other posts and people who truly value your opinion and want to hear it! Attend to them worry about them! Im good I promise. You cant scare or talk me out of my surgery. In MY case its DEF NOT a cosmetic procedure I simply TRIED to explain there is such a thing.

another lesson learned I will try my best to focus on my piont and not allow the direction to change by ignoring concerns or comments that are irrelevant. It sucks to many ground rules i have to personally make to survive but im here and here to stay!

unless you started with a low BMI this post wasnt for you. No hard feelings.

I dont have questions or concerns about any other thing mentioned to me...Why? because I have real life vets in my life that are a hop skip and jump away, neighbors and coworkers I see daily! Ill ask those vets versus a virtual one (not complaining about virtual ones or knocking them just a preference that I should be entitled too ). ***What I lack are low BMI SW vets that handled their post op journey the healthy way  (compliant with protein intake & excerise) ***

I truly come in peace

I also apologize for all the pain and grief I caused by my jokes if anyone was offended.

PS . Dont knock IG try it a lot of you have amazing stories that should be shared. For those who are clueless about IG journies are shared through pics! Try it #WLS #VSG you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/21/15 11:43 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Ok Tina,

I get that this thread is off the chain.  That's what happens when OH is slow and someone posts something that starts flaming.  

I actually am a Light Weight.  I started both of my WLS journey's as a LW so I am proof that those folks exist here on OH.  I've been a member since 2006.  Go to the LW board if you want to find others and post there.  Maybe they will be able to answer your questions and share how they did on their personal journey. It's a great group and they were incredibly helpful to me when I was a newbie.

It's too bad you decided to re-write history by deleting posts - that is why folks decide to copy them.  It's important to mean what you say and say what you mean - and own up to crap when things go off the hook.  

I actually understand what you are asking - I did get too skinny.  From 252 down to 113 lbs.  No bueno.  There were reasons why I got to that low weight and reasons why I am back into a healthier zone today.  But I don't appreciate being referred to collectively as a Hag.  Not cool.  

Admittedly I got sidetracked by your references to Europe and cosmetic WLS.  And I react strongly to this kind of things as I feel it is misinformation - at least as far as my 20+ years of living here in Europe gives me.  So I can't let that kind of comment stand without questioning it.  Fair enough I think.

Stick around - things bow over.  I  hope you find your way and that your WLS experience is a positive one for you. 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127