too skinny?

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/15 7:51 pm

It does help. Depression is a horrible disease or disorder I suffer from it. Losing weight did help. But I take meds for it also they do surgery on our stomachs not our heads. This is a tool we have to use. 

TinaLaFina305
on 8/21/15 8:21 am

i agree 100%

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/20/15 9:58 am, edited 8/20/15 10:04 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Unfortunately losing weight doesn't cure depression.  You are still the same person at 300 lbs or 150 lbs.  

I think you might have some issues you need to address before you consider surgery.  It doesn't "fix" everything in your life. 

You're mistaking concern that your expectations of WLS might be a little unrealistic vs. discouragement. Everyone should be fully informed of the risks, results, changes, etc. before they even consider surgery.  You might be putting the cart before the horse.   

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

TinaLaFina305
on 8/20/15 7:09 pm
The Salty Hag
on 8/20/15 5:51 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Um, don't school me, or anyone else here, on depression. Many of us here are WELL VERSED when it comes to depression and it's effects; some of us more than you could possibly ever fathom, so you need to tread VERY lightly. 

And FYI...I'm in America...where there are safeguards and protocols in place to keep people from treating it like a cosmetic surgery because it was NOT designed as such. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/21/15 12:59 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Excuse me but what European country is offering up WLS for cosmetic purposes?  Seeing as how I live in Europe, have had 2 WLS and plastic surgery here, I'd like to know where you are getting your info.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

TinaLaFina305
on 8/21/15 5:05 am

england ireland belgium even the US its called selfpay with selfpay its much easier to qualify all you basically need is funds

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 8/21/15 6:46 am
VSG on 10/09/12

But insurance coverage and medical necessity are two different things. Insurance companies operate on a profit basis. That doesn't render WLS a cosmetic procedure. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

TinaLaFina305
on 8/21/15 8:50 am

this is true I wanted this years ago but i had selected the free insurance from my job and had to wait a fiscial year to renew and acquire the better $200 biweekly insurance my job offered to be covered. However if I chose to self pay I wouldnt need half the requirments/screenings/tests i do now going through the insurance.

Neesie57
on 8/24/15 10:26 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

It would have taken less time to qualify if I were a self pay patient, but only because the doctor would not have had to wait for the insurance companies approval.  I would still have had to jump through all the hoops, including nutrition classes, psych evaluation and pre-op testing before the surgery.  He wouldn't have done it if I was for cosmetic purposes, or if I planned to only lose a small amount of weight.