Getting referred

Xtine1
on 8/21/15 4:25 pm - Kanata, Canada

I am getting very frustrated because I am waiting for 3 weeks now for my dr. To send in a referral for me. She still has not, is there anything else I can do? She is all for me getting the surgery and faxed my referral in as she did 2 years ago but then we were told it has to be done online and for some reason she hasn't done it. Can any doctor refer me?

HKT53
on 8/21/15 7:37 pm - Toronto, Canada

I ran into this problem last year. My family doctor just didn't know how to register me on line. What I did was Get my family doctor to refer me to a bariatric surgeon. Then I got the bariatric surgeon to register me on line. Yes any doctor can register you online. If they have never done it before they are stumped on page one of on line registration.....the box that say enter your password!!! seriously, that was all it was for my family doctor to give up and not register me. I figured it out. On line password turned out to be the physicians Ontario practice number. So go see your Dr. And ask her  if it was  the password that stumped her? then get the Ontario Bariatric Network list of surgeons, pick one and refer you to someone that knows what they are doing. only in Canada you say.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

gerinurse1375
on 8/22/15 7:23 am

I can tell you in the states a referral takes approx 1 min to complete online. I'm a nurse in an office of 8 physicians and we have over 24,000 patients.  That being said, truthfully because unfortunately in most practices you are "just another number", in my opinion making an appt and sitting with the doc or at least going to the office and sitting there until they do it is the best option.  I try my absolute best for all the patients I deal with.  However, it is not always possible, especially the paper trail.  I can also tell you the more you hound them the further you will get.  If I have a patient who calls 10 times a day I am more apt to do what I need to do to get their issue solved than one that calls 1 time.  Hate to say that's how it is but it is.  Good luck!