Gastric sleeve to bypass due to severe reflux and hiatal hernia??

abideinme
on 8/19/15 3:18 am

I'm just wondering if anyone else can tell me their results going from a sleeve to a by pass. I have severe reflux and hiatal hernia. The bigger problem is the asthma symptoms due to the Gerd and a constant cough. Anyone else experience any of this? The hiatal hernia formed after the sleeve. I'm very nervous about converting, although because of reflux history before my surgery, my dr should have recommended bypass from the get go:-(

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/15 8:47 am

Severe reflux (GERD) + hernia are very good reasons to convert.  really really  good. 

Check revision forum...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

gerinurse1375
on 8/19/15 9:23 am

That was the whole reason I had gbp and not the sleeve.  Horrid reflux for years, large hiatal hernia and barrets.  Sleeve creates reflux, which in my situation with a no brainer.  You will not regret the bypass.  Within 2 days the reflux is completely gone.  No more PPIs.  Which did your dr explain if you take say prilosec or any of those that you may feel better but you're turning those acids into a base which actually  does more damage?  JMHO but you would not regret it.  Although the very worst with GPB is the drain.  That is NO fun at all and recovery is much slower, but well worth it!!

Kelly L.
on 8/19/15 9:31 am

Did they give you the option to have the hiatal hernia repaired?  How long ago did you have your VSG?

Grim_Traveller
on 8/19/15 6:56 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There are two people in my local support group whose reflux became unbearable after VSG. They both converted to RNY. Reflux went away overnight, and they each dropped a bunch more weight too. They were really really happy they revised.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.