Hungry

ontheroad1
on 8/18/15 7:42 pm - Saint Louis, MO

I'm so hungry ,just had lap band on 08/12/2015 Today I ate refried beans and cheese, a yogurt, then a can chicken noodle soup. What will happen to my band. How can I control my hunger? Have not had a fill yet.

Kathy S.
on 8/18/15 9:02 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Are you sure it's tummy hunger and not head hunger?

This is the biggest challenge for us to reach goal and stay there. When I talk to members that are just starting their research I tell them "you have to get it right between the ears before re-arranging you're plumbing". That being said YOU CAN DO IT! Here is a link to some articles from OH that have great suggestions and helpful hints. Dealing with Head Hunger.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

ontheroadoncemore1
on 8/18/15 9:54 pm

Not sure ,but will keep working on it. My stomach was growling. Thanks for the support.

rocky513
on 8/18/15 9:22 pm, edited 8/19/15 12:12 am - WI

Don't mistake stomach noise for hunger.  It's NOT!  You just had surgery on your stomach, it's going to make some noise of protest.  Measure out your food  according to your plan and then STOP EATING!  You can not trust yourself to judge true hunger.  That's how we became obese in the first place.

Hunger is NOT an emergency requiring immediate attention.  Nothing bad will happen to you if you force yourself to wait until your next SCHEDULED meal time.  I eat VERY small, protein forward, meals every 3 or 4 hours.  Anyone can wait that amount of time before they eat again.

Many of us use the "full feeling" as an emotional crutch.  We have to stop using food to solve our boredom, stress, etc.  We have to stop using food as the center of every celebration.  In short, we have to completely change the way we relate to food.

YOU CAN DO THIS!  Getting your head in the game is the hardest and most important part of the journey!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/19/15 6:05 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On August 19, 2015 at 4:22 AM Pacific Time, rocky513 wrote:

Don't mistake stomach noise for hunger.  It's NOT!  You just had surgery on your stomach, it's going to make some noise of protest.  Measure out your food  according to your plan and then STOP EATING!  You can not trust yourself to judge true hunger.  That's how we became obese in the first place.

Hunger is NOT an emergency requiring immediate attention.  Nothing bad will happen to you if you force yourself to wait until your next SCHEDULED meal time.  I eat VERY small, protein forward, meals every 3 or 4 hours.  Anyone an wait that amount of time before they eat again.

Many of us use the "full feeling" as an emotional crutch.  We have to stop using food to solve our boredom, stress, etc.  We have to stop using food as the center of every celebration.  In short, we have to completely change the way we relate to food.

YOU CAN DO THIS!  Getting your head in the game is the hardest and most important part of the journey!

Rocky -- I wish I could "like" this X10.  These words resonate so fully with me... and I believe accurately describe the dilemma of the great majority of us who are obese.  I still consider myself as "obese" ... but in recovery.  But, the disease is still lurking in the shadows waiting to accost me again.

Truly, the statement "hunger is NOT an emergency" is a mantra I use frequently throughout the day. It really helps me to focus on the moment and my addiction.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

rocky513
on 8/19/15 7:12 am - WI

Thanks, Kat!

After 29 years  WLS experience, (including a revision and a second chance at success) I have run into every possible problem. I have failed miserably at some things, but I have "re-grouped", educated myself, and taken control of my addiction.  The words "Hunger is NOT an emergency" have put my addiction into focus EVERY. DAMNED. DAY!  Maintenance is HARD. ******G.WORK!  Getting the head stuff right is more important than the surgery.  The surgery helps you lose the weight, but it ends there.  You CAN and WILL regain if you don't work on how you allowed yourself to become obese in the first place.  The surgery is not magic.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/19/15 7:22 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Thank you.

I also have printed out the "Physical vs Emotional Hunger" list that you posted before.  I keep it on my fridge.  Even my little boy will read it and ask himself if he is really physically hungry.  

I get up every. damned. day. and still want to eat like my 344 pound self. Every day, I decide to eat for my healthiest self and as the mother to my beloved son. Every day.  I expect that will need to do this the rest of my life.

I get that every person has their own demons and has to find what works for them, but for me, your ideology speaks to my addiction.  I just thought you should know that you've made a difference in my life and that I am grateful for your experience.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/19/15 5:07 pm - OH

I think it is really important for us to admit to the newbies that, to one extent or another, we ALL still have that part of our old self that, left unchecked, would have us eating half a pizza, a pint of ice cream, a whole bag of cookies, etc..

Some days I do really well. Other days, it is hard... really f'ing hard... to make good choices. It it easier now (8 years out) than it was the first few years years, but I have no expectation that it is ever going to be any easier than it is now... and some days just plain suck.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/19/15 5:12 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I agree whole-heartedly.

Mary Gee
on 8/21/15 2:39 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

What type of research did you do before having lap-band surgery on the 12th?  

You are one week out -- what does your surgeon's food plan call for at this point?

Please list your food diary -- what did you eat on 8/18 for example -- post it so we can review and maybe make some suggestions.

If you want to be successful, you must follow your doctor's plan.  Head hunger is not the same as physical hunger.

Keep reading the boards here and you will learn a lot.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175