Mourning pizza

Jenn77p
on 8/19/15 7:59 am
RNY on 08/07/15

Thank you all so much. Today I  feeling a little better. All your posts help. Carbs are what made me fat!!  They definitely are my trigger foods. I M going to take all of your advice. Today I am going to buy an insulated lunch bag and an ice cube so I can bring my yogurt, cottage cheese (for now). I never could understand how my skinny friend could order a salad when we went out for pizza. Now I undrstand. She likes pizza, but she likes being healthy better. I know this road is worth it in the end. I am looking forward to the benefits of missing my pizza. 

Jenn 77 p

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/19/15 4:57 pm - OH

As the others have said, you will likely be able to eat pizza again, but it might not have the same appeal with just one slice as it did in massive quantities before.  I used to be able to eat half a medium pizza all by myself.  Now I eat two bites with the crust (to get the "full effect") and then just eat the toppings (and even doing that completely fills me up).

For some people -- some of the clients I work with have described the same thing with other foods as well (although pizza is the most common one) -- it isn't even the actual food that they miss... It is the process of eating large amounts of carbs and the "boost" they felt from that large amount of food.  So once you have your new, healthy eating habits firmly in place, and you decide that it is ok to try some pizza toppings (I never recommend that people try the crust because so many people have had bad experiences with a blob of pizza crust or other white flour product that makes them miserable, but that is up to you), you may also be one of the ones *****arlier that the actual taste of the pizza was never the true appeal of it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

crystal M.
on 8/19/15 8:06 am - Joliet, IL

One thing you have to remember this is not all or nothing deal.  After your weight loss period is over and you are in maintenance it is ok to indulge once I awhile. 

We have to establish a healthy relationship with food.  Naturally skinny people have indulgences once in awhile.  We don't have to forever avoid certain foods (unless there is health restrictions).  I want to live like "normal" people do.  They eat healthy most of the time and indulge here and there.  Sure there will be trigger foods you may want to avoid stocking in your house.  For me that would be candy and sweets.  I will indulge in a slice of cake or a cookie.  I will no longer buy a package of cookies or a gallon of ice cream for the house.  So I set limits for myself with the understanding that I could easily back slide.

Here is an example.  One of my favorite things in the word is cheesecake.  For my birthday a couple months back we went out to Cheesecake Factory.  I had a slice of cheesecake.  One slice...I did not have a big birthday cake and a bunch of junk food.  That is my guilty pleasure.  I enjoyed it guilt free and I did not gain any weight. Why...because it is a once in awhile occurrence. 

And yes I do have pizza once in awhile.  What I do when having something like pizza is I have a big salad first and then the pizza.  That way I can't pig out on pizza because there is no room!!!! 

lynnc99
on 8/19/15 7:36 pm

I've thought a lot about eating/living like a "normal" person. And the truth is, not one of us knows what normal people eat. At 257 lbs I did not eat like a normal person. And now, in maintenance, I am probably close to "normal" but still....I think that many of us live with assumptions that "normal" people can eat whatever they want. Your view is much more reasonable - that "normal" people do indeed watch it a LOT....with an occasional indulgence. 

IMO, weight loss was the battle. Maintenance is the war.

Gwen M.
on 8/19/15 9:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think this is a good time to ask yourself, "What can I do to avoid getting into this situation next time?"  

Plan shopping at different times so your family doesn't need to eat while out?  Have them eat a healthy snack before leaving the house so you can wait to eat at home?  Check out menus and pick a restaurant that has healthy options for everyone, not just you?  Etc, etc.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 8/19/15 10:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I will tell you that I was the world's biggest pizza lover before surgery.  After surgery I ate some toppings off the pizza and now I've even tried eating a piece with the crust.  And you know what?  It's just not the same!  I get super full off one piece and it barely gives me any protein.  It's just not worth it anymore to me.  So I rarely even try to eat it these days.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Ladytazz
on 8/19/15 12:08 pm

You guys are forgetting cauliflower crust pizza.  Honestly for me the best part of the pizza is the toppings.  The crust was the vehicle to put it on.  And I am a die hard bread lover.

Anyway, I made a pizza with cauliflower one day and my daughter popped in, saw the pizza on the counter and grabbed a piece and starting eating it, raving about how good it was.  I didn't have the heart to tell her the crust was made from a vegetable.  She never even guessed.

Although I wonder why she didn't question about why I was suddenly eating pizza when I hadn't in years.

I don't have the recipe off hand but if you Google it you will see dozens. 

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Hislady
on 8/19/15 11:39 am, edited 8/19/15 11:39 am - Vancouver, WA

I make my crust out of ground meat any kind will work. Then I load on the goodies and that way there is also a ton of protein for you too.

robinreinhardt
on 8/19/15 12:40 pm

I understand your pain. I miss pizza and pasta. My husband has it and i will have a couple pieces of pepporoni. I really won't have it because loosing the weight is way too hard. Don't want to regain. I'm sorry for what you are feeling. Stay strong it's worth the pain.

Robin

Hislady
on 8/19/15 6:44 pm - Vancouver, WA

I love pizza, always have, always will! Yet the other day I had hubby pick up a pizza for dinner over the weekend. Well it's still sitting in the freezer because I forgot about having pizza, I think we ended up having salads instead. So people are so right when they say your taste changes and once you get in the habit of eating healthy you truly do forget about all the junk type food.