Weighing in before you fly? Weigh in on this one....

Kathy S.
on 8/13/15 10:06 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

SkinnyScientist
on 8/13/15 4:45 pm

The airport staff will send you to a weigh station before you board the plane, but the number that comes out the other end will have no effect on the price you pay nor will it be seen by anyone.

-I see no problem with it. I envisage these passenger airliners take on extra cargo (say for the post office, fed ex, ups, and etc) to make extra cash and they got to know how much they weight they can safely add in terms of cargo.

Now if the number coming out would have affected the ticket price, I would be raising Kane!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 8/13/15 4:46 pm

PS..you pun was funny Kathy

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Kathy S.
on 8/13/15 6:57 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Pokemom
on 8/14/15 10:59 am
RNY on 12/29/14

My family of 6 recently flew on a smallish (regional-size) airplane.  There was a lot of commotion due to weight.  The flight was fully booked.  Too many people were carrying on large suitcases.  The airline staff was making a lot of announcements about people needing to have their carry-on bags weighed.  They were looking for about 6 passengers to volunteer for another flight.  (We did not volunteer--really wanted to go home--kids and all.)

The problem had something to do with the weather and the heat, which was not what had been expected for this flight on this day, and if there was too much weight, the plane was not safe for flight.  You physicists on the forum could probably explain it, but something about the physics of lift, weight, and temperature.

Anyhow, I can see a small regional aircraft really needing to know exactly what their cargo weight is, so that they can be sure they are safe.  This is one reason that you have to pay a lot of extra money if your bags are too heavy.

Now, if they were just targeting people who appeared to weigh a lot--or if they were doing it in public--or if there was a penalty there that had not bee publicized before--that would be wrong.

Will also add that we recently looked into a helicopter tour.  The heli company was VERY clear in all documents, contracts, online info--that if you weighed more than a certain amount (I think it was 250), they had to charge extra, because a helicopter can only carry so much weight.  They were respectful and matter-of-fact about it.  Still, I was so happy I did not have to have the "guess what, that is me" worry anymore.

jeaniestein
on 8/22/15 2:42 am

Exercise for 30 to 60 minutes at least three times per week to build muscle and burn more calories. Pilates, strength training, aerobics, swimming, dancing and calisthenics are ideal choices

Adopt physically demanding hobbies like bicycling, hiking, jogging, power walking or inline skating to promote faster weight loss.