High parathyroid hormone?

glady
on 8/16/15 12:52 pm

I just had my one year post-op appointmentm (actually has been more than a year and a half.) My surgeon and nutritionist are very happy with my weight and diet. They're more excited than me I think 

I'm lucky that i have never had any problems with malnutrition or anaemia. My labs always come back with healthy levels, even my vitamin D is good. The only thing that has been consistently high is the parathyroid hormone test. The normal range is 14-64 pg/ml but my last results were 94 pg/ml. My nutritionist doesn't seem worried about it especially since all my other levels are good. 

My PCP has tested my thyroid a few times and she sais its normal although i haven't seen the results. I'm just very curious as to what is causing the high parathyroid. I'd like to hear from any one who has some info or experience with this 

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

White Dove
on 8/16/15 2:08 pm - Warren, OH

I really liked my calcium chews and was eating extras like candy.  That put too much calcium in my system and caused high parathyroid readings  The solution for me was to stop taking all calcium supplements.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MsBatt
on 8/16/15 3:32 pm

You say even your D is 'good'---specifically, what is your D level? Calcium, D, and PTH affect one another a LOT. (Magnesium fits in here, too---do you know that value as well?) Typically, it's people with low D who have PTH, but there are other causes.

High PTH indicates your body is stealing calcium from your bones. Your blood calcium level is going to remain in the normal range until you're in serious trouble. The body will steal it anywhere it can, because it's necessary for the transmission of nerve impulses and the body considers it more important to be able to keep telling your heart ot beat than to keep your bones strong.

Maria27
on 8/16/15 3:42 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

How much calcium are you taking, and are you making sure to take it in doses of 500 mg at least two hours apart? I take two doses, but many people take three. If you are not absorbing enough calcium, then your parathyroid glad will release PTH in order to leach calcium from your bones, which should not be taken lightly.

"When calcium levels in your blood fall too low, your parathyroid glands secrete enough PTH to restore the balance. PTH raises calcium levels by releasing calcium from your bones and increasing the amount of calcium absorbed from your small intestine.

When blood-calcium levels are too high, the parathyroid glands produce less PTH. But sometimes one or more of these glands produce too much hormone, leading to abnormally high levels of calcium (hypercalcemia) and low levels of phosphorus in your blood."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyperparathyro idism/basics/causes/con-20022086

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132