It's OK to skip breakfast.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/16/15 9:39 am

Finally someone did real studies and it is OK to skip breakfast. It is not going to make you fat.

“In overweight individuals, skipping breakfast daily for 4 weeks leads to a reduction in body weight,” the researchers from Columbia University concluded in a paper published last year."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/08/10/the-science-of-skipping-breakfast-how-government-nutritionists-may-have-gotten-it-wrong/?postshare=1501439688506901 

BTW - due to my gut issues...For at least one year I have been following IF eating. Intermittent fasting, when I don't eat for 12-up to 16 hours during any 24 hour period...  I adopted that because my IBS-C and SIBO, and my adrenal issues.  In short - taking steroids during the day keeps my BS elevated and steady, but I need to eat snack (typically nut butter, nuts) just before bed to prevent low BS during the night...

As a result - there was food in my guts almost all the time...(low motility). Normal people have dinner (6 or 8 pm) and don't eat anything until breakfast... Or later) so they naturally "fasting " 12 -14 hrs... Allowing the guts a rest, wash out by fluids.. 

I just do that in a different time frame...window. Not only that helps me maintain my weight, but it allows me, together with my low FODMAP diet to  be almost pain free, no bloating.  I do push a lot of liquids until lunch.  I typically have last meal at. 9 or 10, and don't start eating (not raven cream in my coffee****il lunch time or after... 

Do I get hungry? You bet... (steroids) but... I push a lot of liquids in the morning...  The diet and IF makes my life sooo much better... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 8/16/15 5:38 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My breakfast is almost always liquid. Besides coffee or tea eventually I get around to a protein drink. I feel better when I don't eat solids until noon -1PM. 

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

KathyA999
on 8/16/15 6:20 pm

Like the previous poster, my first meal is usually around noon - 1pm.  I drink coffee thru the morning, walk the dog, drink water afterwards, and then I'm ready to eat.  It's usually some kind of breakfast item.  Works for me.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Roma
on 8/16/15 7:08 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

This may sound weird, but I have to have a protein shake and coffee (decaf) before even trying to eat anything - my pouch needs to be lubricated with liquids before eating solids or I feel awful. I think things get stuck if I don't start the day with liquids, which means skipping traditional solid breakfast.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/17/15 3:55 am

I used to do that.. But even shakes gave me nausea. Now - I just have coffee, tea, water..and start any food - liquid or solid, around lunch time.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

crystal M.
on 8/17/15 12:39 pm - Joliet, IL

I used to always skip breakfast.  Now I always have breakfast.  I feel that for me, eating a healthy breakfast has become an important part of eating healthy.  I usually have a greek yogurt and some almonds (today I had 1/2 a banana...I'm sick and wanted something yummy...kill me...LOL).  If I don't have this I am starving and end up eating my lunch really early.  And then I am hungry for dinner earlier than usual and tend to want to snack. 

I guess you can say it throws off my whole eating schedule and I end up feeling more hungry during the day.  When I am hungry I tend to want to eat snacky bad foods...LOL. 

But good to know I can stop at any time and not gain weight....