hives help!!!

Leanna00ag
on 8/14/15 6:26 am

Hi,

two and a half weeks out of sleeve surgery and am covered in hives everywhere except where my incisions are (oddly enough!) I am miserable and the surgeon thinks I'm advancing my diet, which I am not. Still doing protein shakes and Gatorade at point. Needless to say I'm not getting any help or support from their office. Everything I am "eating" I ate before surgery plus my hives have hung around for almost a week at this point so it shouldn't be food related. I am seeing an allergy doc but he knows nothing about Bariatric surgery and wants to treat them with steroids which would be a normal treatment. Surgeon has told me if I take steroids I will end up in the hospital. Has any had this??? This is starting to really effect my life! Thanks!!!

Tracy D.
on 8/14/15 8:23 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had the exact same problem - come to find out I was allergic to Prevacid AND Zantac that they had me taking post-op.  As soon as I got off those I was good.  

Also, scrutinize the content of your protein drink.  You may have developed an intolerance to lactose post-op....it happens.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/14/15 9:31 am

I developed allergy to dairy (whey), soy, vanilla, splenda etc. 

I get hives if I get too much splenda (sucralose) 1-2 servings are fine once in a while, but daily use of splenda makes me itch really bad.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tatirod
on 8/14/15 4:06 am, edited 8/14/15 4:07 am - Toronto, Canada

I assume you have tried an antihistamine? I have had hives A LOT as a kid... I'm allergic to tons of medicine. If it doesn't seem to be food related, I would look there.

also, trust your surgeon regarding the medicines. Steroids are strong anti-inflammatory agents but they can also cause ulcers. While they will definitely help treat your hives, they won't prevent them from occurring again and may put you in the hospital with a GI bleed.

If you you haven't taken Benadryl ask your surgeon if that's ok. And try to look at your meds.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

KathyA999
on 8/14/15 5:40 pm

Are you taking any kind of pain meds?  In my teens I developed an allergy to aspirin, and my reaction was great big wide flat hives. They even got into my joints.  Here it is 50 years later, and any morphine-based meds make my skin itch.  Not exactly hives but uncomfortable just the same.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.