Ketosis questions

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/15 2:02 pm - Canada

Hello everyone. I was wondering how everyone feels about the whole ketosis thing? I am almost 6 months post RNY and I have lost 60 lbs. I have searched on here for info on ketosis and found it helpful. I have never been sure if I have been in the state of ketosis so I went and bought strips to test it today. It showed no ketones at all, not even a trace. I try to keep my carbs and sugar low but maybe they're still too high? How many grams of carbs and sugar do you allow per day? My understanding is that my weight loss would be much faster if I was in a state of ketosis. Is this true? I've read that many people are on this kind of diet pre-op but what about post-op? Should I be trying to put myself into the state of ketosis or is it dangerous? Thanks in advance. Chris

White Dove
on 8/13/15 3:40 pm - Warren, OH

You should start to turn those strips purple if you stay under 20 carbs a day.  It might take a week or more to get there.  It is not dangerous at all.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkinnyScientist
on 8/13/15 4:35 pm

Are you diabetic? Do you take medicine that modifies insulin and insulin sensitivity?

I eat a pretty low carb/ slow GI carb diet but my endocrinologist put me on metformin. My blood sugar went so low, that I felt zen but had "slurred words" and "acted and sounded drunk" while at work which great upset a colleague.

Now when I feel a "bit spacey" I have an apple.

But if you are diabetic or taking blood sugar medicine, be careful.

But I do try to keep my carbs as lows as possible and as slow/low on the Glycemic index as possible.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/15 6:10 pm - Canada

No I'm not diabetic or take anything that would modify my insulin sensitivity. I have been so focused on getting my protein that I haven't given much thought to my carbs. Mostly because by the time I eat my protein there isn't any room for much else. But I've started wondering about it because even though I am considered a light weight and am getting closer to my goal it feels like it is getting harder. I know the last pounds are the hardest so I want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to get there. 20 grams of carbs is going to be difficult. Even my favourite Greek yogurt has 13 grams in one serving. I will need to check everything again to rethink what I can trim out of my diet. Thanks for your response.

White Dove
on 8/14/15 12:06 am - Warren, OH

Do some research on Atkins Phase 1.  You will not be able to eat yogurt or any dairy except eggs.  Getting into ketosis is a matter of meat and very little else.

SkinnyScientist
on 8/13/15 11:16 pm, edited 8/13/15 11:16 pm

I will need to check everything again to rethink what I can trim out of my diet.

You arent the only one that has to rethink your diet.  Maintainence, I gather, is a game of dyanmic equilibrium. I "enjoyed" my july 4th weekend a bit too much in terms of carbs and alcohol.  I became 142 lbs (my upper limit of acceptable after 142..there is 'no more") and have been trying to get back to 139.  I am 141.2 this morning...and the trend is downward but it is not as easy this time time to get those "last 3 lbs" off.  I have been using my fitbit and have "allegedly" been having some huge deficits..so where are these extra calories sneaking in?  Because I "should" be having some huge movement on the scale too.

Then I noticed my supplements and SOME of them have a calorie content listed. For example ONE of my vitamin D caplets have 15 calories. I take TWO of those per day (I.e. 30 calories). That is 30 calories I did not account for.  And acccording to my NUT, it only take 20 excess calories to get us to plateau.

So. I am now thinking "O(#&(*A$#(!!!!" and am now logging the calorie content of my supplements and doing a reasonable guesstimate for that dont have them.

We have worked so hard, and it is awesome that you are motivated to see it through to the finish line AND beyond!

White Dove
on 8/16/15 4:51 am - Warren, OH

I do log the supplements in My Fitness Pal and count their calories.

The frustrating thing that I found is that as time goes by it take less calories to maintain every year.

SkinnyScientist
on 8/17/15 6:34 am

:(

tatirod
on 8/14/15 1:03 pm - Toronto, Canada

That is a pretty high carb count for yogurt. At TWH they told us no sugar added... Source has that. 

You are in Ontario, right? You could post in the daily "what are you eating" thread for pointers.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/15 5:50 pm - Canada

Thank you tatirod for responding. I took another look at my yogurt and I must have been either drunk or high when I bought it. First of all I had never tried Greek yogurt before and decided to buy the pineapple to try and loved it! BUT>>> I must have been focused on the protein level and ignored the carbs and sugar! I have been eating a minimum of 1 and sometimes 2 a day since surgery. UGH! I feel so stupid! I went out and bought some Source tonight and hope it tastes good. Thanks again.

Chris