I'm new to all of this.

SLT718
on 8/10/15 8:17 pm

Hi Everyone! I've been a lurker on this site for months, and I've finally decided to speak up. I need support! I had gastric sleeve surgery on May 26.  Since surgery, I've lost about 40 pounds, but getting ready for surgery I lost about 60, so I'm 100 down! It's getting harder each day though. I guess I thought passing up the bad foods would be easier than it is. It's so tough! It's just as hard as it was before surgery. It's true that I get full so fast, but I'm afraid I'm slipping back into my old eating habits. Help!  Anyone have any words of wisdom?  I don't want to fail. I'm starting to get depressed and lonely. Anyone out there? 

MaronitaMay
on 8/11/15 12:24 am

Congratulations on the weight you have lost, before and after surgery.  I'd like to share with you a couple of quotes.

1st: Your diet is a bank account.  Good food choices are good investments.  author: Bethenny Frankel

2nd: The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. author: Mark Twain

I've read that often when one starts to feel hungry when one has already eaten their regular meals it is most likely because they have already started to become dehydrated, so make sure your drinking enough water.

Kim T.
on 8/11/15 6:57 am - Canada
RNY on 09/29/15

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Do you have any support through your weight loss program?  Reach out to the counsellor/doctor if you have one.  Keep reading the forums and posting.  There are lots of people who want you to succeed and will share their stories that may help you.  I haven't had the surgery yet so I can't give you any advise that way.  Just concentrate on how well you've done and how much healthier you are with the weight loss.  Keep up the good work....

I'm waiting for my surgery date after visiting the dietician again on Aug.21st.  I'm very nervous as I don't have any support or family to help me through it but I am so tired of being obese!

SLT718
on 8/12/15 8:15 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words. I haven't been to any kind of support group, but that's a great idea. I'll see what is offered close to me. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/11/15 12:00 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Since you've been lurking, I'm sure you've read it several times that "they operate on our stomach, not our head."

Are you in a support group or seeing a therapist?  If not, I would suggest you consider it since you're depressed and lonely.  Unless we tackle the issues of why we overeat, the surgery won't fix it.  It's very easy to eat around your sleeve by going down the carb highway.  

It gets much more difficult to sustain that initial motivation when you have surgery.   Learning that your eating life will never be the same as it was prior to surgery and finding a way to cope with it is the key to maintaining the weight loss.

Do this for yourself.  You deserve to treat yourself better.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Kelly L.
on 8/18/15 1:20 pm

Wow, 100 lbs, you're doing a great job.   Sounds like you know what you're doing!!   Just get back to basics.  Log your food into myfitnesspal, protein, water, etc.  You got this!