Nervous?

akanikkie
on 8/10/15 5:52 pm
VSG on 04/27/15

Good news awaits you too on the diabetes meds, more than likely!  I was taking 3 pills and 70 units of insulin every day before surgery.  They took me off all pills and reduced me to 20 units of insulin a day.   That alone, made the surgery worth it! :)   I really did not feel bad at all after surgery.   My stomach and incisions felt uncomfortable but sort of like I had done too many crunches (like that was even possible lol).  I stayed in the hospital an extra day because I was not able to get enough water down before they were going to release me.  I was up and walking right away and had no nausea.  I know that I am very very blessed to have had it so good. I had VSG at the end of April 2015.  I am glad I took off work for 2 weeks not because I felt bad, but because I was able to relax and get into the swing of "eating" in a new way - get into a new routine.  The only things I didnt like during that first month was that I really missed chewing something and I did not like the taste of the vitamins.  But boy is that minor!  It truly gets better week by week.  I tried to just focus on the positives and push through any negative thinking or head hunger - remembering that "this shall too pass".  Best wishes!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/15 8:30 am, edited 8/10/15 8:31 am
VSG on 08/15/15 with

Thank you for asking this question!! My VSG is 8/15, and the anesthesia is what I fear most! Definitely appreciate everyone's feedback!

jvross4
on 8/10/15 8:58 am, edited 8/10/15 8:58 am

I know that is my fear also. And the blood clots?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/10/15 4:16 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

In the hospital, they'll probably put something on you to prevent clots. I had these plastic bootie thingies that inflated and deflated on their own, it kept the blood flowing through my lower legs. I was also on an anti-coagulant for two weeks, the doctor sent me home with pre-filled syringes that I injected into my stomach. I think I wore compression socks for about a week as well.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

alouisa63
on 8/10/15 7:31 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Those air compression leg wraps felt awesome!  I was cussing out having to give myself the blood thinner drug but after reading your post, I feel grateful that mine was only for a week twice a day!

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

jvross4
on 8/10/15 4:04 pm

Alex would love to hear back from you after surgery hope all goes well for you.

jvross4
on 8/28/15 10:31 pm

Well my surgery is this wed. Can't say I'm not still nervous