Nervous?

jvross4
on 8/10/15 12:56 pm

I'm having surgery on Aug.26 and I'm so nervous about being put to sleep. I have high bp.im having the gastric sleeve can someone who has had the gastric sleeve give me some feedback? Thank you

Kathy S.
on 8/10/15 1:32 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!​

If you have not done so already, please post this on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG) 

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/10/15 3:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I was really nervous about the anesthesia as well. At the time of surgery, my BP was high, even on meds!

The good news is that anesthesiologists are really good at what they do, and it's the only thing they do! You'll have one doctor keeping an eye on just that part of things for the whole time.

Apparently I had trouble when they hit the button to put me to sleep-- I guess nobody actually hooked me up to my CPAP in the OR-- and they needed extra time to make sure everything was OK. But I came out fine in the end.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jvross4
on 8/10/15 4:06 pm

I guess this seems to be the biggest fear of most.how have you felt since surgery? How long before you felt better?

on 8/10/15 4:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Since surgery, I've felt AWESOME. I lost 140lb, I stopped using my CPAP and went off blood pressure meds. I rode 40 miles in a big city bike race, and I have no trouble going out and riding 20 - 30 miles on a Saturday morning. I've had a healthy pregnancy so far since I'm no longer overweight. Things are good!

I did feel pretty tired and run-down for the first couple of months, but that's fairly common. I'm apparently a slow-ish healer, and it takes a while for your body to get used to running on a smaller amount of food. I took naps pretty much every day after work for the first few months, but otherwise I was pretty much back to normal.

jvross4
on 8/10/15 4:23 pm

Wow!!  That is great on the weight loss. It helps to find this forum I had so many questions, I had. A friend do the sleeve also and she has gained it all back after 2 years but I think she drank cokes etc... So she can't really give me a lot of info. So I appreciate the feedback.

on 8/10/15 4:24 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There are a TON of helpful people here! You can use the search box on the top-right corner to get info too, type something like "anesthesia" and you can see discussions that have gone on in the past.

Feel free to PM any time with questions, I'm glad to help!

jvross4
on 8/10/15 4:27 pm

Thank you so much.i am new to this so still trying to figure things out 

akanikkie
on 8/10/15 3:24 pm
VSG on 04/27/15

I have sleep apnea and high BP too and honestly was worried as well.  I had a true moment of panic just before they gave me the anesthesia.  But everything worked out great with absolutely no problems.   Just as a side note, I am now only taking 1 BP med and pre-surgery (almost 4 months ago), I was on 3.  You will do great :)

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

jvross4
on 8/10/15 4:04 pm

Thank you so much, right now I also am taking 5 pills a day diabetes,bp,so hoping not to have to take these. How long ago was your surgery.? How long before you were feeling better?