Health Benefits of Hibiscus Tea

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/15 9:15 pm - Pompano Beach, FL

I was relaxing by the pool in my favorite outdoor recliner. I had my sunglasses on and my favorite summertime beverage in hand. Let me tell you—there is nothing like the tart, cranberry-like flavor of a cool glass of hibiscus tea.

1. Reduces High Blood Pressure

2. Helps Lower Cholesterol

3. Beneficial Tea for Diabetics

5. Anti-cancer Properties

7. Benefits Weight Loss

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/12/15 11:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

FWIW...

1. Research showed a VERY small reduction in systolic BP (as in, a few points) and no difference in diastolic, for "mild hypertension." It can be a good addition, but don't count on it to replace your meds!

2. A comparison of hibiscus tea vs black tea showed that BOTH groups showed changes in HDL ("good") cholesterol. Taking hibiscus in pill form had a greater effect, with lower cholesterol by 7 - 8%, but there's probably more in the pill than in tea.

3. Hibiscus may help diabetic neuropathy (when combined with other treatments) but likely at a higher dose than you'll get in tea.

5. Hibiscus can potentially kill cancer cells... at highly concentrated extracts when applied to cells in a petri di**** is an antioxidant (AKA vitamin C) which is generally good for your cells, but it doesn't seem to be super duper cancer-preventative, especially in low doses of tea.

7. There might be some effect on body fat absorbtion/excretion... but the only ACTUAL research I found was a study on rats taking high doses of extract. Anything related to human weight loss was from an unverified/biased site, so I remain skeptical.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!