Addiction shifting - needing some help

Valerie G.
on 8/12/15 12:11 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If your need is to have something in your mouth while you're working, to keep you focused, it may be a learning and concentration crutch for you.  I know, because I have it too.  I suck and chomp ice.  (I'm pretty sure it's a bad habit, so I won't recommend it, and I've never had low iron in the decade post op I've been, but I'm due for labs and i'll know for sure very soon.)

Anyway, back to the subject.  IF it has to do with helping you concentrate, try switching to something to fiddle with your hands.  I keep moldable wax and pipe cleaners handy when I need to fiddle with something.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/15 12:18 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I may be safer with liquids...I have sensitive teeth, and just the thought of biting ice gives me waves of pain. I'm glad it works for you though! I'm definitely a fidgeter...I should start keeping Play-Doh at my desk.

Sweetish
on 8/12/15 10:05 pm
RNY on 12/12/14

Good idea-switch to sipping water or crystal light

Valerie G.
on 8/13/15 5:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Seriously - bring on the play doh!  I'm a corporate trainer, and if subject matter is dry, I'll put it out for the fidgeters.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sanantoniorose1960
on 8/19/15 6:35 pm - Austin, TX

I realized that I am the same way too. And for me, I also need something to crunch on while reading. However, I noticed that I recently cultivated this habit. I conditioned myself to snack while reading either books or Internet. I'm okay if I'm doing something else besides reading. I read somewhere that it takes 21 days to break a habit and snapping a rubber band that is around your wrist sounds like a good idea, or replacing this mouthy habit with a noncaloric one like ice.

I also chew gum, I can chew a whole packet of 12 in one sitting. Its pretty bad...I may try the rubber band method myself.

Im sorry I dont have any ideas to help out. All I know is that I created this mouthy habit and now create a better habit.

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/15 7:04 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for sharing; I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! I was going through 3-4 packs of sugar free gum a day. I've never tried the rubber band but might give it a shot.

sanantoniorose1960
on 8/19/15 6:42 pm - Austin, TX

I realized that I am the same way too. I also need something to crunch on while reading. However, I noticed that I recently cultivated this habit. I conditioned myself to snack while reading either books or Internet. I'm okay if I'm doing something else besides reading. And I read somewhere that it takes 21 days to break a habit. Snapping a rubber band sounds or crunchy ice is also a good idea.

I chew gum too, and I can chew a whole packet of 12 in one sitting. Its pretty bad...I may try the rubber band method myself.

Im sorry I dont have any ideas to help out. All I know is that I created this mouthy habit and now have to create a better habit. I have gained 35 pounds and only 4 years since I had the vsg surgery.