Medicaid in Rochester NY Area cover VSG

_simplysleeved
on 8/5/15 5:37 pm

Is anyone from the Rochester NY / upstate newyork area know if medicaid covers VSG surgery?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/5/15 9:02 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Call the phone number on the back of your card, they'll be able to advise you on coverage.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 8/7/15 12:16 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Yes call the number on the back of the card. Are you managed medicaid or straight medicaid? Highland hospital would be your best bet. They take medicaid and have an excellent staff. Call and do an information session. I believe they do them at the RIT conference center. I am a 315er but went to Highland. 

_simplysleeved
on 8/7/15 1:33 pm

What the difference between managed or straight medicaid, never understood which meant what! But yes I'm going though highland! :)

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 8/7/15 1:41 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Managed means an insurance company is given a set amount every month for you and then they pay your claims. So if you have a company like excelllus or fidelity then you are managed medicaid. Do you also have Medicare or just medicaid? Highland has an awesome insurance person that will tell you everything you need to do.

_simplysleeved
on 8/7/15 1:47 pm

So I'm thinking I'm managed than lol I'm excellus blue choice option I beleive, I've had it for only a few months so still new to it all! & it's medcaid. Thank you so mucho for the info! I attend my seminar soon, I'm sure I'll get more info I'm just impatient & don't want to get my hopes up because I've heard a lot of states their medicaid will cover bypass but not the sleeve!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 8/7/15 1:58 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Most insurers pay for the sleeve and medicaid tends to follow that.  your provider may have an exclusion and not cover it so best to call. You will them know in five minutes.