Lap Band on 7/28/15... I need some encouragement!

Blossomdog
on 8/5/15 9:45 am

I had my lap band surgery about a week ago. All the posts about having lap band revision surgery are a bit scary. My Dr. never give me any indication that there were so many problems with the band.  I know there are people who had Gastris bypass then went on to do lap band like Carnie Wilson. Are there some positive results for people out there with the band? Reading through the forums it's making me wonder if I made a big mistake.

Kathy S.
on 8/5/15 9:59 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Blossomdog

If you have not done so, please post this on the Revision Weight Loss Surgery Forum and LAP-BAND Forum to reach out to those that have had the same procedure as yours.

Keep us posted on how you are doing 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

ladygodiva1228
on 8/5/15 10:25 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Even though I am a revision from the lap band and honestly would never recommend it there are several on here that have been very successful with the band.  Bette is one of those successes and she is full of valuable information on the band. 

Follow your doctors plan and if you think something might be wrong don't wait to see your doctor. 

The one thing that I want to stress is listen to your body and DO NOT OVERFILL YOUR BAND.  If you can not dense proteins without them coming back up then you are either to tight or did not chew well enough.

I had good results until about 7 years out and then the problems started.

Only time will tell if you will be one that has no issues.  I really hope you don't.

Blossomdog
on 8/5/15 10:38 am

Thanks so much. I appreciate the information.

crystal M.
on 8/5/15 10:31 am - Joliet, IL

Not all Lap Band stories end badly. 

I had my surgery 6 1/2 years ago.  I have had no complications or problems.  My only complaint would be it took a longgggg time for me to feel like I even had a band.  In the beginning I went in fill after fill and still I felt nothing.  Still I was hungry.  The time did finally come when I had some restriction and I was able to be satisfied and not be hungry.  Now I said satisfied...not full.  It is important not to let your band be filled to tightly.  That is a big NO-NO.  I actually keep mine on the loose side. 

To date I have lost a total of 192 lbs.  That did not come easily.  I had to watch what I ate and be strict with myself.  I worked out 6 days a week.  I have been able to maintain this loss.  In fact this year I was able to lose a little bit more for my wedding.  I went from a size 30 to a size 12.  5'9 and weigh 168 lbs.  I have been able to do things I haven't been able to do in years.  Little things...like cross my legs or run up the stairs.  I also did things I never thought I would do like sky diving and kayaking.  My life is 100% better than it was before surgery and absolutely was one of the best decisions I ever made.    

There now you have a good story.     

Blossomdog
on 8/5/15 10:45 am

Thanks for your story Crystal. I hope i can say like you, It was the best decision I ever made. 

kathkeb
on 8/5/15 8:08 pm

I had my Realize Band placed 6 years ago --- lost 135 pounds and maintain now at about a 125 pound loss.

I have not had any complications or health issues other than reflux -- which I control with medication.

I don't recommend the band to others, because the complication rate is much higher than I was led to believe when I had my band placed -- but I don't have anything bad to say about my personal experience.

Best of luck to you ----- I strongly suggest you follow the simple rules

1.  don't try to 'test' your band --- work to see 'how little' you need to eat, instead of 'how much' you CAN eat

2.  don't drink while you eat or for about 30 - 45 minutes afterward -- (for me, it is like putting water on top of a clogged drain -- the liquid will stay there or come back up)

3.  eat small amounts of protein first -- tiny bites (like pea-sized) that are well chewed -- put your fork down between bites and swallow your food before taking the next bite

4.  make the most of your first several months -- weight generally seems to come off faster at the beginning -- enjoy that!!

5.  set a goal for yourself (not necessarily a weight -- perhaps a fitness level or a size) and put your head down and work, work, wor****il you get there --- and then work to stay there!!!

Best of luck!!!!

Kath

E_Saenz
on 8/5/15 8:55 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

My daughter has had lap band for over 7years I'm sure she doesn't do her maintenance like fills and stuff and she has not lost all her weight still i believe a lot has to do with her food choices but my doctor said lap band has a 60% failure rate.  When it first came out it seemed like a good idea but long term I'm not too sure.

Elia Maria Saenz

Felicity Q.
on 8/5/15 10:58 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Blossom,

In my recent surgeon consultation (to start the process of getting my Lap Band removed and revised to another surgery) he was going over statistics with me, and I was shocked to hear the high failure/regain/complication rate!  When I had my lap-band done in 2011 it was praised as being the newest best option and I thought I couldn't go wrong!

Since you already have the band, OWN IT. Really COMMIT to the diet, never miss a follow-up to get your band fill adjusted, really listen to what your body is telling you. I'm sure you can make yours a success!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Bette B.
on 8/6/15 3:45 pm

Blossomdog: In a word, RELAX!

If it makes you feel more relaxed, stay off the internet. All reading negatives is going to do is make you nuts. Take a breath, wait a month or so for your body to heal and to get used to "the new normal." 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.