What wls is best ?

Michele7
on 8/5/15 9:40 am

So I'm having a hard time deciding if I should have the gastric y bypass or the sleeve. Im 5'6" and weigh 225 pounds and have sleep apnea. Recently i my blood work showed I was anemic. That may be corrected after my iron fusions. The ins.  The sleeve looks like the best procedure because I'm not rerouting my intestines. But will the sleeve give me my long term goal of 145 and keep me at a healthy weight 15 years from now. How long has the sleeve been done and where are the people who have been sleeved for 5/10 years? I haven't seen any forums for y bypass either that are 20 years out. The long term I question. If I have the sleeve I will feel more comfortable not to worry about problems with obstructions or bad  defiences but will I only get down to 180 and not be happy? Is there anyone my size that has lost their goal weight at s 36 bmi. I also would like to get rid of my sleep apnea. 

Kathy S.
on 8/5/15 10:17 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Michele7

As you can imagine this question has been asked many times.  Everyone has their own opinion about the subject.  We have a search feature here on the site and may we suggest you search and review everyone's comments about it.

SEARCH FEATURE

Also, here are the links to the forums of the two procedures you are considering.  Be sure and post there and get feedback from those that have had the surgeries you are considering.

RNY

VSG

Let us know if you need anything else

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Lisa09
on 8/5/15 11:59 am - NH

Hi Michele,

Both are effective tools if you use them correctly. They alone won't get you to a certain weight or keep you there. Weight regain is possible with all WLS.  Good luck exploring. This is a great place for info and support. Also, I'd recommend attending an info session at your local WLS center or hospital. They have lots of factual info and the requirements for acceptance into their program.

Best of luck,

Lisa

Navychic
on 8/5/15 1:09 pm
RNY on 02/09/15

RNY Vs Sleeve Debate 

Heres a link to a debate we had yesterday that was pretty interesting and full of opinions...  Im an RNY'er and I love it!  But What I get from all these conversations and they happen daily. 

-With RNY, its generally better for immediate loss but it tends to even out in the long run. 

-If you stick with your plan you'll get to goal.

-If you do not... you won't.  You can eat around any surgery...

-With the sleeve, you won't have as many long term mal-absorption issues, meaning after a year or two, you may not have too keep taking vitamins.  Not so with RNY...its a life deal for us RNY'ers.

-With RNY you do have added benfit of being likely (not guaranteed) of losing diabetes/Acid reflux if these are issues.

With any or all of the options your insurance may or may not cover it, so check what they will before you get your heart set on one WLS.

Good luck on your journey!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Michele7
on 8/5/15 4:00 pm

Thank you I didn't know there could be a chance of not having to use vitamin supplements. 

Tracy D.
on 8/6/15 8:31 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Navychic - I had VSG over 2 years ago and have never had to supplement with anything in addition to what I was taking before surgery.  Some VSGers have to supplement with B12...I don't.  My levels are always right in the middle of normal and supplements put me way, way over.  

The only extra supplement I was told I might have to take when I was a pre-op was B12.  And my diabetes has been in remission since the day I left the hospital.  However, reflux is still an issue for me so I take 20mg of Protonix a day for that. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Valerie G.
on 8/6/15 7:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's a crap shoot.  I've seen many do extremely well with the sleeve, which is why it became an accepted stand-alone procedure for wls.  On the other hand, many were left disappointed, some by their own hand (to mouth) and others because they needed something more than eating less.  You need to take that into consideration.  If you are a champion dieter that doesn't get results despite your best efforts, it's a good sign that you may need more than a stomach reduction.  Just something to think about...

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Michele7
on 8/11/15 8:43 pm

So some people say the y bypass hasore malabsorption issues than the vgs (sleeve).  It looks like the pouch on the y can get as big as a cup  and if the sleeve is as big as a bannana . what's the difference? Is the malabsorption greater because the rest of the stomach is still connected to the other part of the intestine? They also say ghrelin helps with cell growth and aging is this true? 

Michele7
on 8/11/15 8:50 pm

I really want to lose the most weight and keep it off the easiest but the sleeve looks like such an easier way with not many long term problems esp defiences. My husband changed jobs so I need to make a decision cause we will have a different ins company. Maybe I should wait till next year . ;(