Considering VSG procedure

manh
on 8/3/15 1:00 pm

I am considering the vertical sleeve gastrectomy procedure but am scared of any complications and side-effects.  Who all has had this procedure and is glad that they did?  I have a bit of reflux now--will that get better or worse with the procedure?  How painful is recovery and how bad are you hungry afterwards?  Some people have said that they don't feel hunger now and just have to eat on schedule--while that may be true at some point, how long after surgery does it take to get to that point?  I'm worried about being hungry, sick to my stomach, constipated and/or having diarreha, etc.  Someone tell me honestly what its like from surgery to feeling good again and how long that takes. 

Kathy S.
on 8/3/15 1:40 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi manh

Welcome to OH!  For more responses, post this on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG) 

If you need anything let us know at [email protected]

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

gwenaj
on 8/3/15 1:48 pm

I can relate to all of your questions and concerns, as I am where you are now in my journey.  I cannot even figure out how to  post a question like you have...any help you can give me would be appreciated!!  Good luck to you on  your journey...I'll see you on here...

manh
on 8/4/15 8:41 am

Thank you!  I have my first appointment with the doctor tomorrow so maybe I'll know more after that!

gwenaj
on 8/4/15 9:40 am

Best of luck :-)

akanikkie
on 8/3/15 2:18 pm
VSG on 04/27/15

My surgery went without any complications.  I did get nervous and panicky at about 30 minutes before the surgery but I think some hesitation is normal!  I was up and walking right away and literally was blessed with no stomach pain, no nausea, no issues.  I had a lot of head hunger and still struggle with it.  Like my Nutritionist told me, you can't erase 55 years of poor eating behavior with a surgery. I have had some constipation, some diarrhea but I think that has been from not drinking enough water and/or from getting use to certain foods.  A lot of the eating is trial and error.  I really do recommend following what your Doctor's office tells you to do.  I have read on this site so many varying opinions and doctor's advice that it gets confusing.  The only regret I have is not doing this sooner.  Best of luck to you!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

gwenaj
on 8/3/15 2:54 pm

I hear what you say about 'head' hunger...  I have trouble stopping eating, and I'm anxious to have a new tool to help me recognize when I've had enough.  Have you gotten any professional help with the 'head hunger' issue?  Just wondering...if so, did it help you?  Thanks :-)

akanikkie
on 8/4/15 7:46 am
VSG on 04/27/15

Yes I have a Counselor who specializes in eating disorders and patients with WLS.  She even speaks at my doctor's office support group.  I also found reading the posts here VERY helpful.  I have had to learn to not let myself linger on photos of food, commercials with food etc.  I never really had visual food triggers (or so I thought) before having this surgery.  It really hit me after my surgery was scheduled, that food had become my best friend and comforter.  I hated that realization.  But that honesty with myself is what has helped me through this process so far. I haven't been to support group meetings yet but I plan to attend and think that will be a good resource too.

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

gwenaj
on 8/4/15 9:47 am

Sounds like you are doing all of the right things!!  Thank you for sharing what you're doing and how you're coping.  I haven't spoken to anyone professionally about this yet, but I'm sure I'll be doing that at sometime.  Meanwhile, having this site, and people who are willing to sharing their journey, is very helpful and supportive :-)  It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in my struggles...take good care!!  

manh
on 8/4/15 8:42 am

Thank you!