The new Reshape procedure

crystal M.
on 7/31/15 11:26 am - Joliet, IL

Has anyone seen this and read about it.  It was on the cover page of OH for awhile.  I am a bit leery of it.  It sounds like it could cause a lot of people issues.  I was reading an article and some of the comments people were leaving at the end were an eye opener. 

It sounds like the opposite of the Band.  Instead of restriction keeping you full/not hungry.  The balloons fill you up...replacing food (making you feel full).  I guess it will be much cheaper and really it's not surgery.  They go down your throat and place it.   

I will keep an open mind.  We will start to see people with this surgery popping up here soon I'm sure.  I will welcome them with open arms.  I wish them the best of luck.  I hope they have better luck then my fellow Bandsters. 

http://reshapeready.com/

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/31/15 10:49 am, edited 7/31/15 10:49 am - OH

I actually don't expect many people to do it.  You can only leave it in place for 6 months, and the list of medical conditions and/or medication usage it is incompatible with is pretty extensive...

Lora

ETA: the risk of obstruction and otehr serious complications is also higher than I would personally be willing to accept for soe thing I could only use for 6 months.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 7/31/15 8:03 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

Study participants only lost 7% of their weight (average of 14lbs) over 6 months. Not much... Also 35% developed ulcers. Not a great risk/reward ratio.

crystal M.
on 8/1/15 8:18 am - Joliet, IL

I agree completely. 

crystal M.
on 8/1/15 8:17 am - Joliet, IL

Some of the comments I was reading were from people in Europe or else where that had this procedure already (where it's available).  One complained of that he had to have it removed during an emergency procedure. Because one of the balloons deflated and his stomach was trying to digest it.  OMG!!!  Another one said she had to have it removed because of balloon constantly rubbing against the lining of her stomach caused ulcers. 

These are some of the things that I read that worried me about the whole idea.  I hope that anyone thinking about getting this done.  Reads something like I just did.   

I wish I had copied the story reporting on the new procedure.  So others could read it.  It was on my Home page...on my Yahoo News feed.  Now I can't find it...maybe Yahoo removed it.  It wasn't the story that was bad...the story was your normal...hey look at this new amazing thing...kind of story.  It was the comments people were leaving after the story.  I always read those.  I don't know why.  

LynnAlex
on 8/1/15 1:57 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

When I first decided to get WLS, I watched every episode of "My Fat Life" and "Fat Doctor" on You Tube. On two espisodes of "Fat Doctor" they used the balloon as a means to help a couple of people lose enough weight so they could  have a RNY surgery.  You can see them insert (swallow) the balloon.  It helped the people lose enough weight, so they were healthy enough for surgery.  I don't know anything about long term.  

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

NYMom222
on 8/1/15 5:48 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

As hard as surgery is, I think anything that is a 'foreign body' is in some way going to be rejected or cause problems. Your body knows how to heal from a wound/suture line it doesn't know what to do with a band or balloon. I could see -as the other poster mentioned, it being used to temporarily help some lose weight so they could get surgery.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save