Support

E_Saenz
on 7/28/15 9:03 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Some surgeon's have a support group and some have a mentor program too I hope that this helps.

Elia Maria Saenz

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/15 7:57 am

Support is needed. One thing I will say this website does help me on a daily basis. I have a supportive husband and family. But they get busy. 

Most people do not understand what it is like to be obese. So coming here will help. Maybe your husband is scared. Mothers can be hard to please at any age. 

Remember you are giving yourself a gift and you deserve to be happy and healthy. 

Best wishes to you. 

Han Shot First
on 7/29/15 8:48 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Totally this right here.  This site offers support that most people just can't understand.  

I wouldn't think the doctor would cancel because your support people backed out.  Let us know what they say.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Eggface
on 7/29/15 4:38 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

As for the support... most family, friends will come around when they see the healthy changes. Hope this helps: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2013/11/life- after-weight-loss-surgery-q-a.html but get a therapist for the one-on-one stuff, find a post-op group local to start attending now, online groups here on OH, on Facebook, etc. I'm sure when you share with your bariatric program the team of support you have put in place they will see you are prepared. 

Support is definitely important but I've never really heard of a program requiring or they "won't perform the surgery" you bring someone... someone pick you up upon release from the hospital, yes, but bring someone to your appt's... just say they are busy, work, etc. It's a private medical decision, they can't require you share that... what about single people, people without family. Frankly the program should be your support... pre and post op groups, meetings, dietitians, therapists, you have access to.

Best to you. Hope your people come around... I think they will.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

TimeForMe61
on 7/29/15 6:35 pm - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

I find it really strange that they require you to bring someone. I went solo to all pre-op appointments. Of course for surgery they want somebody to take you home. This seems really strange!

Jennifer K.
on 7/30/15 11:12 am - Phoenix , AZ

Have you tried to discuss with your Mom and husband why they are not supportive? Perhaps they are things you can work out to get everybody on the same page. I would be most concerned with your husband since you live together. You really need his support since he will be going thru this with you.... I have seen this come up in support group a lot.. sometimes its because the other people are overweight themselves and jealous you are doing something about being overweight. Sometimes with spouses they are scared you will change/leave them if you "get skinny" so they are not supportive or try and sabotage the weight loss efforts. In my friends case, her husband is average weight he doesn't feel he should have to eat different just because she does and he wont go exercise with etc.

Its best to try and discuss now and see what the issues are so they can be addressed.

Do you have a WLS support group in your area? That is the greatest support you can get if so! I am 9 years out and still keep up with mine. I have made a few very good friends via the group.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020