On The Road

lking
on 7/26/15 8:10 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I will be having my surgery towards the end of this year.  I will probably be having RNY but won't know that for certain until my August 28th consult with the surgeon.  Meanwhile, I'm reading everything I can so I will be mentally and physically prepared for my new life.  

With my job I drive hundreds of miles 6 days a week, every day it's during lunch.  My days of picking up lunch at a drive thru will be no more.  My question is, while I am on the go I don't have time to stop and dine-in.  What will I do about lunch pre-op, post-op, and beyond?  

meanjelly
on 7/26/15 8:37 pm

preop will most likely be shakes so that should be easy

post op- you could pack stuff like string cheese and hard boiled eggs

some people like the chili at wendy's

RNY 6/26/15       HW360      SW290      GW200

lking
on 7/26/15 8:48 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Thank you for responding.  Can I prepare a shake 4-5 hours ahead?  Do I need to keep it in a cooler until I am ready to drink it?

Another question...it's highly recommended here to get samples of the various protein drinks.  Where does someone get the samples?

meanjelly
on 7/26/15 10:39 pm

the shakes I used came prepared so those may be best for you sense you are on the road

your doc may recommend a curtain drink for your pre and post op diet.  I would check with them first

RNY 6/26/15       HW360      SW290      GW200

MaronitaMay
on 7/26/15 10:44 pm

For Post-op:  I would recommend having a small cooler with you and pack fresh fruits and vegetables.  You could carry things like carrots, celery, broccoli and have a low-calorie salad dressing to use like dip.  Fresh fruits like oranges, apples, peaches, peers and plums are always good options.  Also you could carry some crackers (I used Ritz Reduced Fat Crackers) and peanut butter (reduced fat).  You can also pack some Greek Yogurt (they do have low-calorie Greek Yogurt available).  If you do have to stop at a fast food place, I have done Wendy's, Burger King and McDonald's.  They do have a side menu (they may use another name) were you could order a grilled chicken without the roll and condiments.  If you can handle wraps then McDonald's has grilled chicken wraps available.

MaronitaMay
on 7/26/15 10:45 pm

For Post-op:  I would recommend having a small cooler with you and pack fresh fruits and vegetables.  You could carry things like carrots, celery, broccoli and have a low-calorie salad dressing to use like dip.  Fresh fruits like oranges, apples, peaches, peers and plums are always good options.  Also you could carry some crackers (I used Ritz Reduced Fat Crackers) and peanut butter (reduced fat).  You can also pack some Greek Yogurt (they do have low-calorie Greek Yogurt available).  If you do have to stop at a fast food place, I have done Wendy's, Burger King and McDonald's.  They do have a side menu (they may use another name) were you could order a grilled chicken without the roll and condiments.  If you can handle wraps then McDonald's has grilled chicken wraps available.

Hislady
on 7/28/15 6:56 pm - Vancouver, WA

I strongly disagree with the above poster, for the first 6 mos to a year you need to work at eating protein for the most part. Your body needs a protein forward diet to sustain you during the biggest weight loss phase which is the first year or so after that things tend to slow down. Many docs don't even want you to eat raw veggies and salads until after 6 mos. Fruit is one of the worst things you can eat as it is straight sugar. Many wait until maintenance before adding fruit (if they add it at all). Many of us eat strictly protein and non starchy veggies for the first year or until maintenance. Your surgeon should give you instructions on what he wants you to eat and when. Then you can plan from there you can keep lots of protein snacks in a small cooler like hard boiled eggs, jerky, yogurt, meat and cheese rolls and of course your protein shakes.

Izzi
on 7/30/15 7:44 am
RNY on 08/12/15

I strongly disagree. Fruits and vegetables are NOT things you should be eating post-op! The surgeon you choose will tell you exactly what you can eat and when you can eat it, but PROTEIN is always top on the list!

Doingrightin2015
on 7/27/15 3:00 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I usually travel a couple days a week for work also. I have a lunch bag insulated that I use those reusable ice packs in. I pack things like premier protein shakes, string cheeses, babybel cheese, greek yogurts cottage cheese. Can also do low carb protein bars, nuts. I have also done the Wendy's chili. I have bought arby's turkey and swiss wraps and have the mayo left off and just ate the insides not the wrap itself.

I really have not had trouble with this at all. We eat so little and the lunch pack will hold lunch and snacks without problem.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

crystal M.
on 7/27/15 10:53 am - Joliet, IL

To be honest I pack everything everyone suggested and just stay away from the fast food places.  The smells and everything...I might get tempted to eat something I shouldn't. 

Although, last week I did go to McDonald's to get a couple Happy Meals for some special friends.  And I wasn't that interested at all.  Maybe after almost 7 years I am losing interest.