5 months post op gain! Need advice

kathkeb
on 7/21/15 2:08 pm

or you drank more water than usual, or you ate more sodium than usual, or the scale was a little off, or the wind blew the wrong way ----

I am not saying to not pay attention-- -but 1 pound is not really a GAIN --- it is a minor fluctuation --- which will be 2-3 pounds at different times of the day.

Cut back the carbs -- focus on your plan -- and let the scale do what its going to do in the short term ----- you are in this for the LONG HAUL --

Kath

hollykim
on 7/21/15 2:28 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 20, 2015 at 8:57 PM Pacific Time, NikkyBeauty wrote:

Forgive me for being long winded but here it goes I got on the scale yesterday and for the first time (since the week after surgery) I gained! It was only one pound, but here's why I'm concerned. The last time I weighed myself was two weeks ago at the gym and I had been on a really great losing streak coming from going super slow to going super fast! But for these last two weeks I haven't been able to make it to the gym, and I haven't been perfect with my diet not going to lie I had bread, i had a wrap with a tortilla and popcorn at the fair over these past two weeks So I've let a few carbs in. Now if I wouldn't have gained, I would think I was at a stall, but also I was at a different gym then my regular gym (not making excuses) but sometimes the scales are off especially at the gym. I don't have a home scale and I weigh myself normally at my gym. Anyways seeing that one pound scared me to death and being that I've only seen the scale go down, I'm thinking it was the carbs and lack of exercise that made the scale go up so I just put myself on another liquid diet and am making sure to get to the gym at least 3 times a week! So my question is was that too drastic? or are we going to see the scale go up and down during this journey? And with me being so early out, should I even have gained? I know in the losing phase I shouldn't be eating carbs so any advice? and tough love is welcomed!! 

the body MUST hold a certain amount of water for every gram of carbs we eat,to process the carbs. That is the "water weight"gain,we all know about. 

Pit takes the body about a week to process the carbs and release the water hold. I doubt going back to liquids will make any difference. Staying on plan and not having carbs will make the most difference,obviously. 

Kiwideb
on 7/21/15 7:02 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

I'm at 6 months. Just had a gain of 3 pounds ahead of my period, combined with enormous stress, lack of ability to eat my usual and lack of exercise.

Then I lost it a week later.

I look at it as a process - and I think any of the old timers will say they have up days only to be down a day or so later. I know I retain, so I don't drive myself crazy over it. I've got better things to worry about

MsBatt
on 7/27/15 2:11 pm

In the immortal words of Douglas Adams, "Don't Panic!"

Honestly, one pound is NOTHING. My weight can change as much as five pounds from morning to nightfall, depending on how much water I drink, how much I sweat, how much sodium I take in, how much I poop. If this is the VERY FIRST TIME you've seen the scales go up in five months, you are doing excellently well. (And it's a damned good sign that you're not weighing too often---that's one of the easiest ways to drive yourself absolute bonkers. *grin*)

But that one pound may be a very GOOD thing---because it's scared you away from the bread, tortillas, and popcorn. The liquid diet? Meh---pointless, in my opinion. Your body doesn't care how calories get inside your body---they're ALL liquids by the time your small intestine is trying to absorb them. EAT dense protein, healthy fats, and get your few carbs from veggies. YOU WILL BE FINE.