Sushi!

beckyp0320
on 7/20/15 7:35 am

Okay I KNOW that I can't have the rice so don't worry about all that...BUT I'm trying some su****oday (without rice) or sashimi and I wanted to see what people suggest? I am having a very hard time eating....I am nauseous almost after every single meal and its rather annoying! I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op and its annoying.  Especially when I eat something once, then I eat it again and get sick.  I've lost 27 lbs so far...that's good right...??

Felicity Q.
on 7/20/15 7:46 am
DS on 09/28/15

I was never able to do sushi after my lap-band surgery, with the exception of Tuna Sashimi.

What would get me every time was the Nori - it was harder for me to get down than an apple peel.  Everyone has their own mileage though, and it will depend on your surgery too of course.

I remember reading a good blog post from Nikki at BF that I enjoyed reading, i'll share here!

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/10/bf-survival-guide-sushi-restaurants.html

Good luck! Let us know how it goes! :)

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

poplargreys
on 7/20/15 7:52 am
VSG on 03/31/15

At that time post-op I wasn't cleared for sushi, so no way would I have attempted it. I wouldn't have tried something new for the first time at a restaurant either, just in case it didn't sit well.

ladygodiva1228
on 7/20/15 7:58 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On July 20, 2015 at 7:35 AM Pacific Time, beckyp0320 wrote:

Okay I KNOW that I can't have the rice so don't worry about all that...BUT I'm trying some su****oday (without rice) or sashimi and I wanted to see what people suggest? I am having a very hard time eating....I am nauseous almost after every single meal and its rather annoying! I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op and its annoying.  Especially when I eat something once, then I eat it again and get sick.  I've lost 27 lbs so far...that's good right...??

Is sushi/sashimi something that is on your surgeon's plan?  At 3 1/2 weeks out it would seem trying raw fish might be a bit much for your pouch. 

You say you are having a hard time eating are you advancing your diet faster than your plan states?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

beckyp0320
on 7/20/15 8:21 am

I am past the blended foods and started soft foods this week.  I wasn't planning on eating raw sushi/sashimi, I never have liked the raw stuff. I'm not advancing too fast I have been sticking to the letter but also trying to find stuff to eat that I can eat and hopefully won't get sick from it if that makes sense?

kathkeb
on 7/20/15 3:20 pm

For me -- soft food meant 'well forked' tuna or chicken salad --- blended with a moistener (low-fat mayo or cottage cheese) or baked ricotta.

As others have said, you might want to try 'new' things at home first, instead of out in public --- in case it does not sit well.

Even though I could 'eat', there were times at the beginning that I stayed with soup at a restaurant, just to be safe, and then ate something at home later on.

Kath

beckyp0320
on 7/20/15 5:41 pm

I did liquids only for a week, then for 2 weeks blended foods only or I guess like you say well forked.  From what my doctor's office gave me I can do soft foods, med rare meat, chicken cooked well, cooked veggies (not that I ever get there) all natural sf pt butter...stuff like that.  Im not trying to go too fast on my diet, I'm just having a hard time eating stuff.  Like tonight, all I had was some rotisserie chicken, I had maybe 2 bites and then I'm feeling sick again? I love rotisserie chicken!! Its just frustrating.

charminglearner
on 7/20/15 6:06 pm
RNY on 10/27/14
charminglearner
on 7/20/15 6:06 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

I ate salmon sashimi about 6 weeks after surgery.  I found my pouch tolerated it way better than most minced meats.  The salmon was easy to digest.  I just cut it into small bits and chewed well.  I still eat it when I'm out for sushi.  Have no intention of trying rice.  I prefer sashimi.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/20/15 8:00 am
RNY on 08/05/19

What foods are you cleared for? At 3 1/2 weeks out, I was in the "mushy" stage, eating things like scrambled eggs and tuna salad. Something as dense as sashimi would have given me quite a bit of trouble.

If you're having a hard time eating, take it SLOW! Focus on fluids and err on the side of softs/liquids for a while.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!