Correcting diabetes misconceptions among other diabetics

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/15 10:39 am
RNY on 05/04/15

On Saturday, I'll be riding in the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure in Portland. Yesterday I went to pick up my rider bib and packet, and upon seeing I was registered as a "Red Rider" (rider with diabetes), one of the workers introduced himself as "a fellow type I." I didn't think anything of it until I was walking away, then it hit me -- people don't see a type II diabetic when they look at me. So once they know I'm diabetic, they assume I must be type I.

I'm sure this will come up again Saturday since I'll be wearing my Red Rider jersey. Should I just smile and nod if someone else assumes I'm type I, even though I've never known the hassle and fear of being insulin-dependent, really can't relate to their struggles, and have in fact been off all diabetes meds since May? Or should I use the opportunity to educate people that yes, a 30-year-old who's not morbidly obese (at least not anymore) can have type II diabetes? If anything, it would point to the importance of the education and childhood obesity-fighting initiatives that the ADA supports, so it seems like a good opportunity. But I also don't want to put myself in awkward situation after awkward situation. Thoughts?

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/22/15 12:45 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Nah, you shouldn't feel awkward. You have diabetes & it's in remission, at least with type 2, it can possibly go in remission, but the damage from the years prior to that has already been done. When I was first diagnosed I didn't even know I had the disease & that's the problem with type 2, you can walk around undiagnosed for a long time while the disease hurts your body. That is something that people with type 1 might not be able to identify with since I'm guessing they get diagnosed rather early in life, like as a kid.

If anything maybe you can write T2 on your jersey if you wanted. Kudos to you for riding out & bringing awareness to people about this disease. Have a great ride! 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/15 2:57 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks! I like your rationale. My cousin suggested I get a "hello my name is" sticker and just write "Type II" on it.  =)

SkinnyScientist
on 7/22/15 2:48 pm

I think you should educate them.

My husband became type II after becoming obese.  He was also obese as a kid.

With the help of metformin, exercise and diet, he will be hopefully off the metformin soon. He realizes that this is not a liscense to go back to his old ways!

Education is so important!  If there is a way to not awckwardly do it, I would say Educate!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/21 1:21 am

Thank you so much for the thread here, it is really informative and helpful. I am looking for some good medicine these days, and I think that I will get some rybelsus. What do you think about it? Maybe you can give me some tips and advice? I would appreciate it!