Constant vomiting 3 months out from revision surgery

Kay G.
on 7/20/15 5:41 am

hi I had RNY revised to gastric sleeve - with pouch still in place and rejoined to sleeve rather than RNY intestines. Problem is I can't eat solids - not even like 1oz. Even very small amount well chewed comes back up ,even small amounts of soft foods will come back up sometimes - it's all a bit hit or miss. I ate an egg well chewed yesterday and spent next 12 hours constantly vomiting until no more egg came back - even vomiting if just took 3 sips of water.  

Has anyone else had revision surgery and difficulty like this ? Thanks for your input

Chilipepper
on 7/20/15 6:39 am

I still can't figure out how you described the new configuration. 

It sounds like a structure.  You need to call the surgeon 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/20/15 8:02 am
RNY on 08/05/19

This is not normal. Call your surgeon.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

kathkeb
on 7/20/15 3:29 pm

I hope you are typing this from your doctor's office ---- constant vomitting and inablity to eat is not normal after any procedure.

Kath

Valerie G.
on 7/22/15 9:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Like the others said - this is NOT normal and nothing we can make suggestions on except to call the doc.  Something is very wrong and revisions are tricky.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

HKT53
on 7/25/15 7:45 pm - Toronto, Canada

What happened...did you get yourself to emergency and see the surgeon. Are you OK? what is the next step for you? I ask because I had sleeve in 1989 and constantly vomited until two years ago. No proteins, no meats ...no food. I lived on ensure every day and still vomited average of six times a day. Finally, I found a surgeon that I am convinced is the answer. An RNY done July 10... Since then no Vomitting and no acid reflux. I didn't know about the RNY as a revision and I should have done this ten years ago. Please let me know, I absolutely know what you are going through, I just don't know the fix.

Kay G.
on 7/25/15 8:10 pm

Seeing surgeon on August 4... a bit long to wait but I cannot manage it before. Have had CT scan and assessment by local doc who says gastritis and my oesphagus is inflammed (what wouldnt be from tossing it all the time) and CT scan was unremarkable. I had a RNY in 2007 but the stoma failed and allowed food to just slip through the pouch without chance of absorbing it. So next step was to revise to sleeve but in this instance the pouch is attached to the stomach that was hanging around doing nothing for many years - it maybe needs time to wake up ! I have heard of stories like yours and I am sure I could not be brave enough to live so many years like that. I am not sure but it may be an option to go back to a RNY but will have to wait to see what the surgeon says... I know living like this is not a real option and the docs must do something. RNY is a good tool but do not overeat and remember if you dont chew chew chew large items will "push through" the stoma and this will dilate and you will lose the better part of this tool. Its weird with the sleeve as you have to eat protein to live and it ends up I cannot eat any protein either - tiny amount and it will come up...and this was before the constant vomiting. It seems once I vomit the body keeps producing the foam and mucous slime and keeps filling the pouch and it causes never ending vomiting. Did you have this ? did you find out something from doc or elsewhere that would stop the body from producing the foams/slime when you haven;t eaten or even just had water ? There is surely a solution but any advice would be super. Thanks for writing to me and good luck with your post RNY recovery and next part of your weight loss... but by now you must be skinny right !  Good luck

Kay G.
on 7/25/15 8:13 pm

LOL - lost more weight around 3-4 kg in the past 10-12 days - there is a sliver lining to this problem :-) hahahaha

got to find the positive in everything that goes on - no matter how bad it is :-)

HKT53
on 7/25/15 8:31 pm - Toronto, Canada

Yes, mucus and slime with certain things I ate. This is what made me vomit spastically until I could get it out. To me it was as if  I had put something in my stomach that my body thought was foreign and tried to isolate with foam. I learned to find things that would not cause this. One item is a meal replacement available through sick kids hospital through their Specialty Foods sight. It's called Isosource. i could sip on that and not vomit. The other is certain veggies blended. I have a juicer, so I could make myself celery, cucumber and pear juice. I really only could stomach pears or apples...no other fruit. Unfortunately broccoli and asparagus, do not juice well. So I would boil the crap out of it, mash and eat. It all had to be mashed or strained and very wet. I could not tolerate meat broth or cream soups but for some strange reason...Almond Breeze no sugar added was my friend. No wheats or grains.i depended on water down ensure and Isosource for my protein. I tried lentils and beans but rarely would they stay down. If I think of anything else, I will let you know. The bad thing that I could take without Vomitting was something sugary like a little piece of fudge or I grew to like homemade custard ... Sometimes I would use Splenda instead of sugar.

Kay G.
on 7/25/15 8:50 pm

But sadly what you write about is not healthy enough eating. Glad you found a solution. Good thing about home made custard is that it has eggs sugar milk and somewhat complete food. Better to have a little sugar than substitutes I feel. If you cannot eat much at all but can have the odd sugary treat the should be no problem. But if you end up living on sugar treats it defeats the purpose of this whole journey. I had some low fat vanilla ice cream the other night and spent 12 hours regretting it... Today I got 1 protein shake down and am working on 200 ml orange juice watered down. Not sure if it will all stay down- a few hours will tell ! Now you have had your RNY PLEASE STOP SUGARY TREATS AS THIS WILL CAUSE DUMPING SYNDROME and really focus on real protein foods well chewed in small amounts. I am jealous of where you can be today with right choices!! Good luck