presurgery diet

esko0034
on 7/19/15 8:41 am

I know I need to lose 30 lbs prior to surgery but is it necessary to do 1 week high protein food and TWO weeks of liquids with protein shakes. I'm gagging the protein shakes, they are awful. I know I need to find a way to drink them.

jennings00
on 7/19/15 11:59 am

What flavors have u tried and are you trying different types powders you add to liquid or pre made type.?

MickeyDee
on 7/19/15 1:55 pm

Cut out all white foods (rice, potatoes, bread, pasta).

Focus on protein, not necessarily protein shakes.  I went with regular protein-forward foods such as good deli meats with a slice of cheese wrapped in lettuce leaf with mustard (for example).  Chicken, broiled; shrimp with Mrs Dash; ground beef patty;  just keep it free from refined carbs.  I also used a lot of salads for volume, mixed with tuna or chicken, topped with a good vinaigrette.  Use your imagination.

There are many varieties of protein shakes; if one doesn't work for you, keep trying.  I had packets of rice-based, soy-based, etc., that were just too pukey.  Get samples so you don't spend too much.  I found the Syntrax Nectars website;  they have a package of about 14 flavors that you can use water, milk, or your favorite liquid, to stir up.  I also liked the GNC varieties of low or no-carb protein powders.

Also, if you can find one you like pre-op, don't be surprised if your taste buds change so you can't stand it post-op.  One of bariatric surgery's little jokes.

Also, empty your cupboards of all white foods;  makes it soooo much easier to resist temptation if it's not sitting there calling your name.

Good luck.

Dan1962
on 7/19/15 4:37 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

My pre-op diet was primarily me losing the carbs and controlling portions.  Back in the day for breakfast I stopped at BK and got the #1 with with sausage and a large hash brown.  Pre-op I cooked sausage at home and a couple of eggs and cut out the carbs.  Lunch I used to have a sub.  Pre-op I went to the deli and bought deli meat and cheese, no bread or chips.  Dinner I still had steak, but dropped the corn and potato.  I replaced them with garlic and spinach....and I would eat the whole can.  I went from 336 to 306 in a couple months.  I tried protein shakes through the process but hated them.  With your stomach at the normal size, I think its asking too much to eat like you would post op to loss the weight.  If that was possible, we wouldn't need the surgery.

Han Shot First
on 7/19/15 7:16 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

For me, the pre-surgery was harder and worse than anything post-op.  Just remember that this is temporary, power through it, and put yourself in the best position to succeed post-op.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Felicity Q.
on 7/19/15 10:23 pm
DS on 09/28/15

The suggestions here are 100% true. You can't be successful with a WLS without finding a protein supplement you can handle. This was the mistake I made with my lap-band surgery. 

I hated all protein shakes, until I found the Gold Standard Whey protein shakes (I found them on Amazon) - good calorie-to-protein ratio. I also found mixing a thick shake with water was just gross to me... so for me it helped to change my base to nonfat milk. Sure, you get a few extra carbs from it, but the creamy taste is much more manageable!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13