why surgery

MJSmith
on 7/17/15 10:28 am

hi. I am pre op for the sleeve. I was wondering.bif I can eat this small amount all the time. why do I need surgery.

Gwen M.
on 7/17/15 11:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Well... I know I couldn't eat 8 ounces of food plus a protein shake every day and feel any sort of satisfaction. I'd have been hungry and miserable all the time, given up, and gorged myself. 

With the sleeve, I've been eating that way for 16 months 90% of the time and definitely don't feel hungry and miserable!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/17/15 11:57 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

How has eating small quantities worked for you in the past?  Have you lost weight?  Have you kept it off or gained it back, plus more?

The sleeve propagates several metabolic changes that dieting cannot.  For example, it removes the section of the stomach that produces ghrelin, the hunger hormone.  Most people who have the sleeve do not feel intense hunger, or any real physical hunger, after surgery.

I don't know your background, weight or situation so it's difficult to answer why you need surgery.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Y D.
on 7/17/15 1:24 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

if i could have, I would have. even rx appetite suppressants did not help me for the long haul. I needed to try everything, and hit "rock bottom" before I made the surgery decision, but that's just me. when I hopped up on that table, I was ready.

crystal M.
on 7/17/15 6:54 am, edited 7/17/15 6:56 am - Joliet, IL

Before surgery I was definitely a volume eater.  Me, eating 6 oz of protein and some veggies at a meal would have drove me nuts.  I would not have been able to stay on a diet like this for any length of time and feel any kind of satisfaction.  Not to mention it was this choice to have surgery that brought about my all around healthy living.  I don't think I would have adapted this lifestyle if I had never had my surgery.  It was the motivation I needed to get healthy and make that change. 

It's not all about eating small amounts.  Its also what you eat.  How you are eating it.  And living your life actively. 

TexasTerritory
on 7/17/15 1:59 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
The loss of hunger was a big factor for me. The whole process of surgery 'shocked' my mind and system into a radical lifestyle change. I love my sleeve.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/17/15 7:21 pm - OH

Try it and you will find the answer for yoruself. Try eating 2-4 ounces of food 5 times a day for as long as you can.

Will you lose weight?  Yes, absolutely!

How long will you be able to keep eating so little?  Not very long.. My guess is less than a full week unless you have exceptional willpower (in which case it will probably still be less than a full month).

How hard will it be to stop eating when you hit 4 ounces of food each time? Very.

How hungry will you be?  VERY.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/17/15 8:18 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I can walk from Ohio to California.  

I can fly there in a plane.  

Both take planning, effort, and work. One is likely to happen and the other isn't.  

Surgery is flying to Ca.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 7/17/15 10:46 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Because you (and me and all of us on here and probably 99.9% of the world's population) can't eat this small amount all the time.

I am almost three years post op and I am pretty sure I eat double now what I ate initially post op in the first six months - one year. So even after surgery you will not be eating the tiny immediate post op portions for much past year one. And I am one of the super lucky sleevers with no physical hunger at all since surgery. 

That is why that first year is so important not only for weight loss but for learning good habits in terms of what you eat, how much, getting to understand your satiety and various food issues and putting into place coping mechanisms that will serve you for the long haul.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/18/15 4:36 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Really only you can answer that question. Short term yeah, most people can eat that small & lose weight, Long term, no. The hunger hormones kicks in with a vengeance, & the constant I'm hungry so feed me definitely derailed any chances of me losing weight & keeping it off, at least with the sleeve, most of that need to feed is gone & I can be satisfied with smaller amounts of food.

Just remember you can eat around any wls, it's not just the amount, but what you eat too. I'm sure I can eat small amounts of cookies & cakes, ok maybe not so small, but that's the point, it's the wrong kinds of food that can halt or derail your weight loss too. I luv having my sleeve, but it can't help me if I don't do my part too.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/