Cost

Katharyn123
on 7/15/15 7:22 pm - Canada

May I please get some sort of ball park figure of total cost. Inquiring for my daughter. Also, is anything covered by Alberta Blue Cross? Thank - you in advance. P.S. my daughter is turning 19 in September. 

Mary Gee
on 7/15/15 7:50 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Have you posted this on one of the Canadian forums?  You would have a better chance of getting information there.  Click on Forums, then click At bottom of page "See All Forums" -- scroll down to International Forums" and you will see several listed for Canada:  Alberta, Ontario, etc. ........   In regard to coverage, you could probably call Alberta Blue Cross... their number should be on the back of your daughter's insurance card.

Good luck to your daughter.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

AmyDee123
on 7/15/15 8:12 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Just a heads up.   Some docs will have a problem with her age and some won't.   I've heard of insurance sometimes having issues too.  Just be prepared.   

I'm in Florida,  so take it for what is worth.   Full price would have been 27k for rny.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

tatirod
on 7/15/15 1:50 pm, edited 7/15/15 1:50 pm - Toronto, Canada

It's best to post in the AB forum. Surgery is covered in Ontario if you have a BMI >35 with comorbidities or >40. They require age of 18 or more.

here is a link I found for AB http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/what-is-covered.html

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

TrulyPhoenix
on 7/16/15 3:42 pm - Calgary, Canada

In Alberta surgery is covered 100% by Alberta Healthcare, but she'll need a referral from her doctor and meet the following requirements:

Adults age 18 and over with:

• BMI ≥ 35 kg/m2, with an obesity-related comorbidity (ex. hypertension, diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, osteoarthritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, sleep apnea, depression, polycystic ovarian syndrome, cardiovascular disease).

OR

• BMI ≥ 40 kg/m with or without comorbidity

AND

• No severe, untreated  personality disorder, active psychosis, active substance dependencies, and/or major cognitive impairment.

You can get more detailed information on their website at http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/services.asp?pid=service&rid=1008786

There is no option in Alberta to pay for surgery, I believe in BC & ON you can pay for the lapband/realize band surgery.  A couple years ago when I looked into the lapband it was about 16k+ in Canada and 8k in Mexico.  If she decides to go out of province and pay for surgery, it's best to contact Alberta Blue Cross to see if they will cover any of the expenses.

The Alberta forum here isn't very active, but if you have Alberta specific questions that is a great place to go as one of us are sure to answer :)  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/AB/