Difference in Lap Band and Gastric Sleeve

Zee Starrlite
on 7/15/15 2:17 pm

What I would say to you is to track every single thing you eat and stay within the suggested calorie range "customized for you" using something like myfinesspal or something.  See if you can lose weight if you follow a diet alone.  If you can, then you will with a restrictive only procedure.

The honest truth is one can consume an enormous amount of calories with the sleeve if well determined to do so.  Lots of foods go down easy like the diet you referred to with the band - slider foods.  For example if you liked crackers, cookies, pretzels, ice cream, fast food smoothies & sweet drinks . . .  the list goes on but you can make yourself unsuccessful with the sleeve too especially once your stomach matures.  Grazing can be a huge issue too with restrictive surgeries.

I have no food restrictions - I am able to eat normally.

You can be a great success, but not without putting forth full effort.  Just know that going in.

All best

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

AmyDee123
on 7/15/15 2:36 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I had the lapband, but got revised to RNY.  I know that you should have more success with RNY or sleeve than you did with the band, however you have to be careful not to eat around your tool.  Its why I chose RNY, because if I eat sugar with RNY i risk Dumping syndrome and it helps to keep me in line.  But like I said, either one will provide more restriction in the beginning.  

If you only lost 20 pounds with the band you need to figure out if you are ready for another surgery.  Was it due to catastrophic cir****tances that the band did not work, or did you not use it properly and ate around it?  If you did not change your diet enough to lose with it working properly you may need to see a therapist before going under the knife again to prepare yourself really well for the sleeve.  That way you give yourself a fighting chance.  Good luck to you, and congratz on getting rid of the band!!  :)

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)