Difference in Lap Band and Gastric Sleeve

Mom-to-5
on 7/15/15 10:28 am

I was wondering if any of you had a Lap-Band before having a gastric sleeve. I just had my band removed 2 weeks ago and am currently waiting to go forward with the sleeve. My only concern is if I only lost 20 lbs with the band, how can I expect the sleeve to be better? I heard there isn't much difference. Please share your experiences!!!

Kimberly Y.
on 7/15/15 11:09 am

Hi

I am six weeks sleeve post-op.  I can't eat more than a four ounce portion or I am in real discomfort.  If I push even one tablespoon more than four ounces, I'm on the verge of getting sick... real discomfort.

I don't know about the lap band, but the sleeve makes it impossible for me to overeat.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Kimberly Y.

Mom-to-5
on 7/15/15 11:45 am

Thanks for replying Kimberly. How much have u lost so far? Any regrets?

Kimberly Y.
on 7/15/15 1:28 pm

24 pounds in six weeks and my only regret is that I didn't do it earlier in life!

Good luck!

Kimberly Y.

Zee Starrlite
on 7/15/15 1:10 pm

Your sleeve will loosen!  You are really early post-op.  So you will have to rely more on yourself  and not your stomach the further and further out you are.

Best,

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Kimberly Y.
on 7/15/15 1:31 pm

Thanks for the advice, Zee.  

I am actually tracking and monitoring on the Weigh****chers app and it is very helpful.

All the best!

Kimberly Y.

Zee Starrlite
on 7/15/15 1:34 pm

Awesome Kimberly!  Great to develop good habits from the start.

hl1524
on 7/15/15 1:02 pm - Austin, TX

I think your answer will be found with why you only lost 20lbs with the first surgery.  People find ways to eat around any procedure that is out there.  Make sure you are fully committed to changing your lifestyle and possibly work through any issues that you might have with food.  

RNY 8/27/2014

Zee Starrlite
on 7/15/15 1:13 pm

So if your band was working - like you were able to achieve restriction and had dulled appetite BUT you still did not lose, you may want to consider a WLS with malapsorbtion.

Ask yourself these questions:  Do I lose weight on a restrictive calorie diet when I follow the exact rules?  Do I have anything like PCOS, thyroid issues etc. that would make me weight loss resistant?  Metabolic issues etc.

Best,

Layla

Mom-to-5
on 7/15/15 1:26 pm

My bad slipped and had to be removed. I had restriction but was not able to eat meat without choking. Ice cream and junk was easy to get down so my diet stunk. Also, I suspected thyroid problems, as my mother and grandmother both have thyroid disease. I've had mine checked 3 times and it always comes back normal. I still think it plays a role in my weight along with the hysterectomy.