New to the board!

LINDA-U
on 7/16/15 10:50 am

Hi Everyone!  I just met with the surgeon yesterday to start my journey :)  Scared but know I need to get healthy.  My Dr. is recommending the Sleeve, any thought?  I meet with a dietician next week; six to eight months will fly by so I am joining support groups to learn as much as I can :) Linda

Kathy S.
on 7/16/15 11:32 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Welcome to ObesityHelp!  We are glad that you have joined our OH community.  

As you check out OH, you'll see many features and tools that are created for our members as you embark on your WLS journey.  OH is a great place for support, research and tools to assist you with your journey.  Here are a few suggestions:

About Obesity
About Weight Loss Surgery
Medical Necessity
Post-op Planner
BMI Calculator
Health Tracker

We also have a great HELP SECTION with tutorials to assist you with navigating our site. If you need our assistance, you can reach us at [email protected]

Here are links to all surgery options for your research.  May we suggest you post on the forum for the surgery type you are interested in for support and questions.

Duodenal Switch Forum (DS)

LAP-BAND Forum

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

We look forward to your updates

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

AmyDee123
on 7/16/15 12:02 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

When choosing which surgery to go with you need to make an INFORMED choice and have faith in it.  If you go with something you were never quite sure of you could be setting yourself up for failure with not having faith in the surgery being used as a scapegoat.  There are pros and cons to both RNY and the sleeve.  Ask away and get insight on how things are going for people.  That helped me.

personally, I chose RNY because I already took vitamins everyday (you will have to tke vitamins every day for the rest of your life) and it was not a big change for me.  I also WANT dumping syndrome as a deterrent to help me stay away from what I am most addicted to...SUGAR.  For me that was the deciding factor.  I am 5 weeks out and struggling, but its the same struggles I would have had with the sleeve too.  Just my stomach healing and making sure i get in all my water and protein each day.  

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

nugett06
on 7/16/15 2:44 pm
VSG on 07/16/15

I had my sleeve done this past tuesday, the 14th. i must say i am doing great. as long as i stay on top of my pain meds, my pain is minimal. mostly soreness on my left side. i will admit i am hungry though. like really hungry. i know it is a mind thing so that is my biggest issue. other than that i am up and moving around great. even went to the mall and walmart today (against orders of course) good luck with whatever procedure you choose.

LINDA-U
on 7/24/15 7:45 am

How are you doing now?  I am using my fitbit to help me track my food intake and exercise :)  It really helps!  How long are you off work?