Why no salads for three months?!?!?!?

Triksy
on 7/15/15 1:29 pm
RNY on 05/20/15

I will definitely keep that in mind. Currently mine consist of greens with 2oz of chicken and a slice of tomato and a tbsp of light vinaigrette. I do still have a Premier Protein for breakfast every day and my protein numbers for the day are usually around 75. But I will keep an eye on it to make sure that I keep everything in check. Honestly I'm not usually even a huge salad person I've just gone so long without vegetables I guess I missed them.

HW- 380     SW-350     CW-358

NYMom222
on 7/15/15 8:47 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My plan said I could start salad at 6 weeks. That being said, it didn't really agree with me until after 3 months. Be patient 3 months will be there before you know it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

MsBatt
on 7/16/15 2:09 pm

If you will put your surgery type, date, and surgeon on your profile, it will show up each time you post. This is important info.

I'm assuming you had an RNY, since you're not supposed to have salads for three months. I'm guessing there are various reasons, but the fact that roughage might get stuck in your stoma is probably the biggie. Also, as others have pointed out, salad has almost no protein and most folks really struggle to get protein the first few months.

I had a DS, and I had my first salad at 5 weeks. BUT, as a DSer, I have no stoma, and I have a relatively large sleeve, since my surgery was done 11+ years ago. At 5 weeks, I wasn't having any trouble eating enough protein to hit my goals.

Eggface
on 7/20/15 5:10 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Some Dr's have different phases... I was cleared at 8 weeks for salad but after you aim for whatever protein salmon, chicken, tuna, shrimp, cheese, etc on the salad you pretty much get 3 leaves of lettuce for a bit... it's kind of well pointless and lettuce is sort of waddy (LOL not a technically medical term but should be)

Later on when your capacity is slightly larger... salads are a grea****er source... I love cucumber & tomato salads Caprese with fresh mozzarella... lots of water content. I use lettuce 1 piece as a wrap/taco holder mostly http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2015/07/healt hy-helper-foster-farms.html or to wrap burgers. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

pegleg63
on 7/27/15 1:29 pm - Taylor, WI

I had RNY in Dec. 2008. 85 pounds gone and maintained. I was told no lettuce for 6 months. Boy did I miss salad but I did obey. I am not sure 100% you you shouldn't eat lettuce but I do know that competitive eaters will stuff themselves with lettuce to prep for competitions. I do believe this is because they can stretch their stomach capacity by eating large amounts of lettuce. Don't want to stretch out your new stomach. Once I got to 6 mo. out I was allowed lettuce and salad. Never had a problem with either. They will taste really good once you can have some.

weightloss.jpg weightloss image by pegleg63Beth