Small bowel blockage

Deanna F.
on 7/14/15 9:38 pm - Fairfax, IA

i am 4 yrs out from my RNY  and a few weeks ago I had to go to the ER and had surgery for a blockage. It was from adhesions from my RNY surgery.  My surgeon said it only happens about 2% of the time.  I was very lucky he was able to snip the adhesion and untwist the bowel with no damage done.  He did laporscopicly so I was only in the hospital two day. 

Has any one else have this happen?

Luvmygs
on 7/14/15 10:00 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

I have a friend that had the RNY and had a blockage last year. She couldn't keep anything down and found out it was a twisted bowel. Her surgeon said its very common with any kind of stomach surgery. Hope you feel better.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/14/15 7:36 pm, edited 7/15/15 2:27 am

I had 3 surgeries to fix my bowels. I never had a complete blockage. But I had hernias and twisted guts. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SandieMc49
on 7/15/15 4:58 am
On July 14, 2015 at 9:38 PM Pacific Time, Deanna F. wrote:

i am 4 yrs out from my RNY  and a few weeks ago I had to go to the ER and had surgery for a blockage. It was from adhesions from my RNY surgery.  My surgeon said it only happens about 2% of the time.  I was very lucky he was able to snip the adhesion and untwist the bowel with no damage done.  He did laporscopicly so I was only in the hospital two day. 

Has any one else have this happen?

Yup - and it was extremely painful.  My surgeon apologized that he had to do an "open" procedure.  He said on a scale of 1 - 100 that I was a 99.  Not fun at all.

AmyDee123
on 7/15/15 5:37 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

I had an intestinal hernia 4 days after my initial surgery.  Complete blockage, throwing up 200 to 400 cc's of bile anywhere from every 12 hours escalating to every 15 minutes (that's when he decided to do surgery).  It was from a loop of my intestine getting caught up in my old gallbladder incision.  He finally went in and fixed it, sewed the old incision in my abdominal wall shut, and I was INSTANTLY better.  It happens with gastro surgeries.  Things get moved around and occasionally get twisted up.  Sometimes it can be fixed without surgery, which we tried, but sometimes they just have to cut you open again.

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

auntmimi
on 7/15/15 7:12 am

Twisted bowels 2 weeks after RNY. I suffered thru it for 3 days before I decided maybe it wasnt just gas pains. It was to the point that I couldnt even pull my legs towards my body when I was laying in bed. WORST pain in my LIFE!!!!!! First time that pain made me break out in a sweat! Within hours after surgery I was 100% better (or at least felt that way). And havent had any problems since!