3 Weeks out and no food sounds good...

beckyp0320
on 7/14/15 6:56 am

Okay so I had my surgery almost 3 wks ago (3wks tomorrow) and I've lost 24 lbs(yay) BUT when I open the fridge...NOTHING looks good and it all makes me nauseous. My mom and I even pureed foods in advance for me so I wouldn't have to worry about meals.  I can barely even eat a yogurt!!! Is this normal? All I had yesterday was an oikos zero vanilla yogurt for breakfast and for lunch I had 2 hard boiled eggs...for "dinner" a sf popsicle.  Today I tried a yogurt and again I barely could get it down and then 30 mins later it came out (not going to get gross but let's just say #2....) Im sucking on a peppermint which seems to help.  I'm also having trouble drinking water! I'm pretty frustrated b/c I know I need to get my proteins in as much as I can but its so hard when everything makes me nauseous! I'm trying to sip my water but it still gets some air and then hurts and Im burping. ugh! Any help or advice would be great!!!

Oh and don't even mention the protein drinks b/c I actually barf those up :( :( :(

Grim_Traveller
on 7/14/15 8:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Enjoy the hating food for as long as it lasts. Sooner or later you'll love food again, and look back fondly on this.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

beckyp0320
on 7/14/15 8:56 am

So this is normal huh? Well that's good to know...I guess...LOL

gram247
on 7/14/15 1:35 pm

I am 4 years out and most of the time, nothing looks good to me. I eat because I have to eat. Even chocolate, which I was addicted to before, doesn't appeal to me now.  I have lost over 200 pounds and had surgery to remove the excess skin. 

I was lactose intolerant before surgery, so you guru and some protein drinks are out. I have found that sipping a little hot tea with ginger helps me to relax and eat enough. I had problems with hair loss from lack of protein in the beginning. 

I found that eating a few (2 or 3) pieces of cold watermelon or other melon, was a bit of an appetite stimulant, usually about 20-30 minutes before sitting down for dinner. Initially,  I also found that sitting at the dinner table with everyone else was a turn off for me. 

Most of these issues have gradually resolved. But I still take a few sips of hot tea before I start to eat. It seems to relax my lower esophagus enough for me to eat. 

Good luck. Have patience, try to eat slowly and swallow less air. 

You will succed like the rest of us.

MaronitaMay
on 7/14/15 5:35 pm

Seems like you need to be in contact with your dietician to discover what you are doing wrong (IF anything) and find out suggestions

based on your WLS teams dietary recommendations.

NikkyBeauty
on 7/14/15 6:25 pm, edited 7/14/15 6:27 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Like Grim said enjoy hating the site of food as long as you can because hoooooneyyyyy when your appetite returns it's coming back with vengeance and ready to make up for lost time hahaha!! But no really to answer your question, I don't know if it's normal, but thats exactly what happened to me, when I started purée weeks 2-4 I hated and was disgusting with all food I had to force feed myself because I knew I had to meet my protein needs, the only thing I could stomach was mashed potatoes. The disgust started to subside slowly when I started soft foods week 4-8. But those days are long gone I'm almost 5 months post op and my appetite and cravings are already back and it's hard! hell having surgery was the easy part! But if your having trouble keeping stuff down you should definitely contact your surgeon because that part is not normal! 

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Zee Starrlite
on 7/15/15 1:30 pm

Unfortunately lol, this is just a temporary feeling.  Once a food lover, ALWAYS a food lover.  

Just get your protein and water in.  Don't think about it, it is what you need and have to do - like medicine.

Best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy