Hair loss...is there any way to prevent or stop it?

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/15 9:09 pm

It's normal. Protein is the basic building block in your body, so it takes from anywhere it can get it including your hair. As you add more protein into your diet, the hair will grow back. Generally after you get north of 100 grams a day (6 months to 8 months out) you should stop the thinning and your hair will start to grow back.

Right now you're too low at 30 grams 2.5 months out. Just add protein supplements in milk, water, or whatever you can. It's not as hard as you think to get to 60+, but you have to work it a little.

nicola3301
on 7/11/15 12:28 am

Thank you!

RNY 4-27-15    Dr. Schauer    Cleveland Clinic               

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/15 12:31 am - nyork, AK

I think you can not only stop hair fall but you can also grow your hair back. Here are some tips that can help you stop hair fall.

) Vitamin A - an anti-oxidant which promotes healthy production of sebum in the scalp; 

2) Vitamin E stimulates circulation. Good blood circulation in the scalp is important in keeping hair follicles productive. The 'B' vitamins contribute to melanin, which gives hair its healthy color and also stimulates blood circulation; 

3) massage is also beneficial. Massage stimulates circulation. As already noted, good circulation in the scalp keeps hair follicles active. Experts suggest a few minutes of daily head massage by hand. Circulation through massage may be improved by using a few drops of lavender or bay essential oil in an almond or sesame oil base with massage. I also found coconut oil very beneficial in this matter. 

4) Try rubbing your scalp with garlic juice, Onion Juice or Ginger Juice as It is also a very effective treatment for hair loss especially if you're wondering how to make your hair thicker and stop hair fall. 

(you can either of one out of three, Do not mix any of two or three); 

Karen P.
on 7/14/15 9:29 am

Bottom line is there is not much you can do but in addition to keeping your protein at a minimum of 30 gm per day, take an extra Biotin supplement at the same time you take your other vitamins. I think this helped me keep my hair healthy and growing back as quickly as possible.  I would avoid hair growth products...this is a natural reaction to the surgery and extreme weight loss.  Be patient, it will be OK.  

gram247
on 7/14/15 1:40 pm

I found my hair thinning after about 2-3 months. I tried all types of hair restoring lotions, potions, etc. nothing really worked too well.

now at 4 years out, I have been using argon oil and keratin oil on my hair every night, & the breakage has stopped , as has the hair loss.

i also make sure I am getting enough protein every day and also not taking too much Vit A. Too much Vit A may cause hair loss , too. 

Good luck on your journey! 

Dani96
on 7/15/15 8:25 am - Fallbrook, CA

I tried Laser a Hair treatment with proper supplements. Check this Temeculacahairrestoration.com  they'll teach you how to regrow your hair back. 

"LADYbug-j" L
on 7/16/15 7:06 pm - Laurel, MD
Keep up with your vits & Protein, For the most part my hair thinned! Best wishes.