Continuing to be east feed a toddler after VSG

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/15 1:48 pm

I had the VSG when my little one was 2 1/2.  She was just nursing to sleep for nap and bed at that point. I did notice a dip in my supply for a few days, but she didn't seem to mind. She nursed as soon as I came home from the hospital. I recommend laying in bed and putting a small pillow over your stomach. I told her to be very careful because mommy's tummy hurt and she was really good. If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

Lizzybeth1086
on 7/9/15 6:38 pm

Danamarie74, 

THANK YOU! This makes me feel much better! My daughter is the same, mainly just nurses for comfort before falling asleep. So, you're taking all your vitamins and she's never had any problems with her levels being too high? That's actually what I planned to do when I come home from the hospital, lay in bed with a pillow between us. She's really smart and totally understands everything I say to her, so she'll understand when I say I have a boo boo. :) she's going to be so sad when I'm in the hospital and she can't have "nana's" but I told her she could have it when I come home. Thank you for your response! It really made me feel better. 

Kiwideb
on 7/10/15 2:08 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

Right after surgery, I would think I wouldn't like the potential of anesthesia passing the barrier. But I say that mainly knowing it took me a while to feel that crud was gone. 

But lactating women take vitamins all the time and breastfeed... That wouldn't worry me at all. 

Now, your chances of loosing your supply by the time the surgery medications are out of your system could be high...

My only other thought was that you really won't want to be holding her against your belly/ picking her up for a few days at least to get close enough for the comfort aspect.

Im just randomly thinking in the question..

Lizzybeth1086
on 7/10/15 4:13 pm

Thank you for all the thoughts! I'm not too worried about my supply at this point since she's only nursing for comfort! She doesn't want it for the actual milk but more for it to calm her like a pacifier would. To keep at least a litttttttle something, I plan to pump in the hospital (and dump whatever milk I get). And when I get home, I'll nurse her while laying down on the bed with a pillow against my belly. Luckily my husband is taking a few weeks off after my surgery! 

Thanks again for some thoughtful input!

Kiwideb
on 7/11/15 7:57 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

That sounds Like a lot of good forethought to me!