Rude Questions..RANT

aad
on 7/14/15 11:21 am

I feel the subject is very personal. I told very few that I've had the surgery. I basically state that I'm eating better and getting more exercise(which is basically true and not a lie)....It's no one's business but yours and who you choose to tell. Drama sucks...

manders7
on 7/14/15 11:26 am

Don't feel like a liar, you told them the truth.  You really are following a personalized plan between you and your doctor, because that's what the surgery does overall.  

Whenever someone would ask me, I told them I made a major lifestyle change and commitment.  It's not a lie, that's how I view my surgery.  Congrats to you, you've done a wonderful thing for your health!  

Amanda  
Gastric bypass RNY
5/8/2006 - Dr. James Koren
290 initial/165 goal

gram247
on 7/14/15 1:11 pm

First off, congratulations  on your successful journey.

Secondly, you don't owe anyone an explanation. My response to anyone who asks  is that it took hard work and determination. I don't mention surgery & if asked , I ignore the question. It is rude and very personal! 

I had 3 plastic surgery procedures after losing over 200 pounds to remove excess skin. I get all kinds of questions about this too, and I just give my standard answer, unless I am close with the person asking.

it is really none of their business how the weight came off, just that it did come off! 

Good luck and don't let the fools get to you. 

Neaucora
on 7/14/15 2:14 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I've run into rude questions also.  I live in a small town.  People have been downright mean.  People whom I've never talked to, suddenly want to ask personal questions.  It's like half the town thinks I'm on meth. The other half say I cheated  and had surgery because I have no self control or determination.  Really!  I don't talk to people about it.  I just say,  my Dr"s and I are working together with my health issues.  That seems to make them uncomfortable enough to leave me alone.  If they ask anything else I just get rude and say it's none  of their concern. 

MickeyDee
on 7/14/15 4:34 pm

If someone not close asks a VERY personal question, it's perfectly OK to say "Why do you ask?" and then let them explain themselves.  If they're just being nosy, they will shut up.  If not, and they say they'd had problems and would be interested if you're interested in telling, then maybe.  I've told people in the second place to come see me and had private conversations about the surgery, etc., and it's been a much better situation.

MaronitaMay
on 7/14/15 5:45 pm

May I suggest:

Thank you for noticing how great I look!  Like everyone who is thin I focus on what I eat to maintain my weight loss/to lose weight.