Rude Questions..RANT

Mell
on 7/8/15 7:42 am

I have to tell you it never goes away I am 8 years out and I just told everyone. And now that I have kept it off I get the "oh you were able to keep it off" comments! I feel like slapping people they have no idea how tough regain is on people and equally how hard it is for me to keep the weight off, then I get the well you have kept it off why don't you enjoy just one donut...

Or after I had my two babies (back to back) I would always get the "oh you lost all the weight again" comment and questions on how I did it.  All this in the MIDDLE OF THE HALLWAY!  I just tell people "Try not eating, promise it works". Or the people who say "dont get too skinny".  So it sucks, and honestly it has never gone away for me (been at the same place for 15 years).  It just changes so I just came up with that standard response and use it all the time, sometimes snotty and sometimes jokingly but they get the hint.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

SkinnyScientist
on 7/8/15 8:43 am

I just tell people "Try not eating, promise it works"

To some at my job...I have an eating disorder!

(howls...not at the eating disorder (which would be sad) but it really comes down to be able to: a) eating the right foods and b) being content with such a small amount food in today's obesegenic environment)

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

tatirod
on 7/8/15 9:18 am - Toronto, Canada

I love this post. Your selection of emoticons are perfect and hilarious!

i may be tempted to answer their question with a question. For example, "would you feel horrible if I said I lost weight due to a medical problem?" and then walk away. But, I would probably just say I lost weight through a load of hard work... Which is totally true.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

NYMom222
on 7/8/15 12:41 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I never give people a number I've lost, that is reserved for a few close friends. I just say "a lot' and if they really press I say "I made a decision not to share a number with anyone".... I am not against telling people I had surgery, but only if I have time to really have a conversation. Sometimes I will just say "working hard"... it is good to have a script in your head. Mine is (If I decide to tell)... "I decided to have weight loss surgery last year. I still have to work hard, do the right things and diet and exercise but at least now I am having results" ... or something along those lines.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Karen R.
on 7/8/15 4:53 pm - Peoria, AZ

How about saying  with a lot of hard work. That is the truth!

Kathyjs
on 7/9/15 10:20 am

If somebody who is morbidly obese asks me I tell them the truth hoping they will be able to get help too. What I get a lot is, ' are you feeling ok' and ' I just can't believe you were ever heavy' 

Y D.
on 7/9/15 3:46 am, edited 7/9/15 3:49 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

I'm a very private person in general... Sometimes I won't even answer "How was your day?"- not because I had a bad day, but just because I don't feel like answering it! Ha. I realize it's a personality quirk but its just how I am.

So naturally when it comes to something like wls I'm a closed book with most people- ESPECIALLY my co-workers, because I keep my business and personal life very separate.

Since I'm down 50 lbs people have just started to notice, and compliment me, but not ask how I'm doing it. They've all been very kind and not at all intrusive. They've all seen me walking after work with another co-worker since January, and modifying my eating habits from what they were. So I think that my lifestyle change is apparent to them.

The only person who has asked me directly is the Cantor at my synagogue- "Feel free to slap me- but did you have uh.." and making a "snip snip" hand gesture. I just laughed and said, "Would you let me have my mystery please??" If I would have told him- everyone and their grandson (no, really) would be talking about it! Hahaha.

Its totally your business, your decision who to tell and not to tell- you don't owe anyone an explanation into your personal health decisions no matter who it is if it makes you uncomfortable. Don't feel guilty!!

Willie H.
on 7/9/15 11:05 am
VSG on 08/26/14

I JUST SAY. Yea, I needed a jump-start with surgery. I was very unhealthy with one foot in the grave, but now it's mostly diet, exercise and just living a healthy lifestyle! I always let people know that surgery was just about 55-60 percent-now its all about what I do! Fortunately I don't care what people think.  Hater's gonna hate, playa's gonna play! 

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Maria13
on 7/10/15 10:18 am

I don't even justify those questions with a response. I just tell them I did it through healthy eating and exercise. That's the truth the surgery was just a tool bit I have been putting in alot of work to get fit and keep fit. :) 

Starting Weight :307

"I believe that one defines oneself by reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself. To cut yourself out of stone."

TempiB
on 7/14/15 8:12 am - Corsicana, TX
RNY on 03/24/14

I didn't tell anyone I was going to have surgery before I did it because I really just did not want to hear everyone's opinion.  It took me three years and an additional 60 pounds to decide to do it and opinions weren't going to change my mind.  After surgery, however, I decided to be an open book about it.  I am open and honest about having surgery, how much I weighed at the beginning and how much I have lost and I've even saved them the mental math and just told them outright how much I weigh currently.  It has actually been kind of fun to see reactions and I just don't really care what anyone thinks or says about me.  I have even responded to the "easy way out" issue with, "heck yeah, it's easier.  Now when I don't eat much and I exercise I actually lose weight consistently.  What's wrong with that?"

I really think that the more open we are with people about it the more it will lessen the stigma.  When we hedge and are cagey about it with people that ask it almost makes it appear we are ashamed of our decision which implies there is something wrong with wls.  I also think that wls is becoming so much more common and people pretty much know when you have had it whether you tell them or not simply because there aren't many diets that cause such rapid weight loss.  I personally would rather control the information going out about me instead of being secretive and letting the gossip mill speculate. 

All that said I have to also admit that I have not had really mean snarky people around me or at least I haven't had any snarkiness get back to me.  However, I also put off a pretty strong and confident air about me and I think most people are a little afraid to get ugly with me so that may be a factor too.  I'm truly not a b**ch.  I don't like confrontation but I will engage if I have to and I have no problem at that point telling someone exactly how the cow ate the cabbage so to speak. 

The other reason I have decided to be so open is because I want that obese person that is really struggling to feel comfortable coming to me for information and advice and I have had several do that over the last 15 months.  If my journey can help someone else decide to take control of their health and get their life back, I'm happy. 

I just say own your truth and don't let other people control your story.  This journey is hard enough without stressing over what other people think. 

HW:303   SW:297