Rude Questions..RANT

Amy M.
on 7/7/15 5:36 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I would like to start this post off by stating that this is a rant and a means of getting something off my chest.  This is a hot topic around here and I don't wanna start a debate or argument.  I just don't have any one to talk to about this that understands the way you guys do.

I always told myself that people asking me questions about my weight loss didn't bother me because they are genuinely curious and they just want to take interest in how far I've come.  I've even responded to some threads on here defending people who ask questions about our weight loss because I like to believe the best in people's intentions.  Normally, I take their curiosity as a compliment.  Questions I've encountered the most are:

"How much weight have you lost?"
"How long did it take you?"
"Do you have a personal trainer?"
"What kind of diet do you follow?"

Some people are uncomfortable with these questions and I don't mind them at all.  However, my situation has recently changed.  In December 2014 I got a new (better) job.  Before I left the place I was currently working when I had surgery I had already lost 80 lbs.  People were taking notice at that time and I was starting to get some compliments and words of encouragement.  Last week I left that new job to go back to the employer that I left in December.  They offered me a stellar position in a management role that I couldn't refuse.  In the 7 months that I was gone I lost another 50 lbs.  Now that I'm back and almost to goal, I'm getting more and more attention.  It didn't bother me at first but today and last week I'm getting approached by people who never spoke to me before and they know nothing about me.  This is how it usually goes:

Example 1:

Them: Can I just say, you look great!
Me: Thank you so much!
Them:  *walks closer until she's inches from my face* "Did you get weight loss surgery?"
Me: 

Example 2:

Them: You look amazing! How much have you lost?
Me: Thank you! I've lost about 130 lbs so far.
Them: Wow! And you did it without having surgery?
Me: 

I'm sorry, but I find this question to be completely rude coming from a complete stranger .  My surgery is something that I consider very personal and therefore kept it quiet at work aside from my boss and a couple close friends (it's a call center full of drama, gossip, and the main age group is 18-30).  My personal life is not something that I want to be the topic of gossip especially since I've come back as a Manager.  I want to make it clear that I'm not in any way ashamed of my surgery.  However, we all know that there is a stigma about surgery being "cheating" or "the easy way out" and I won't always be around to defend it or educate them on how wrong they are.  Despite what I tell myself, I DO care what people think.

So how do I respond?  I could tell the truth and then have the word spread around and see people whisper behind my back.  I could tell them that it's between me and my doctor (which basically means yes anyway and it'll just create gossip and rumors) or I could lie and say no.  None of these options are appealing but I seriously feel like saying "no" is the only way to keep my private life private. 

I am aware that this makes me a liar liar pants on fire.  But it ****** me off that someone I've never even spoken to has the audacity to ask me something so personal, so private.  I know there are a lot of people on these boards that feel strongly in both directions.  I don't want to lie, but the question took me so much by surprise (never encountered this before) that I didn't have time to think of how to respond.  I kind of just mumbled something incoherent and walked away.  I've had people ask, "How are you doing it?" in which case I've always responded with, "I follow a personalized plan worked out between me and my doctor" which is a true statement.  But now, I just feel like a liar.  It's not a FUN feeling 

And I'm too nice to tell them to F*CK off and mind their own damn business! Especially after paying me a compliment.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/7/15 6:17 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I always say I did it with "diet, surgery, exercise." You could also just say it's a private question and you don't care to discuss it. 

I think that anything that mentions diet and exercise and not surgery is a lie. If you're ok with that, so be it. It isn't like I've never lied, so I won't throw any stones. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 7/8/15 4:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I agree. 

I also think it's worth noting that people will whisper behind your back No matter what - I'd rather they be whispering about the truth. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/15 6:26 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

This is a tough one for me too, and it gets particularly complicated because I lost a good bit pre-op. It feels like the only options are discussing something really personal with complete strangers or lying by omission. Usually my answer is something like, "I lost the first 80 lbs by logging everything I eat, exercising more, and eating vegetables for the first time in my life. Then I had surgery to help get the rest off and hopefully even keep it off this time."

Lovely_Z
on 7/7/15 6:32 pm

Hey Amy,

first off off don't feel bad for ranting, heck we've all had bad days at work. Although my surgery isn't until next Tuesday I've been worried about the same thing because my atmosphere is pretty much the same, the last time they saw me I was almost 300lbs and I'm sure to loss the weight rapidly with no idea how to respond to them I'm scared. I don't want to tell a lie, but I don't want folks in my business. 

When I was younger I was a 911-dispatcher in the same environment that you mentioned; very tight-knit, gossipy, and actually kinda annoying folks. I know you said that the "personalize plan" statement makes you feel bad but it's not a stretch from the truth. 

School will start soon and at present the only guess of a reply to the absent minded folks who don't realize that asking such questions lacks tact is this

"I'm in the gym five days a week, eat well and take better care of myself because my health was declining" 

"thanks for the compliment, I need to tKe care of something see you later" 

or just get gangsta and say, " you're a hater! Mind your own business dude" or " I didn't know we were friends...what's your name again?" Or "what did you have for lunch because your breath is off the chain" 

i dont know Amy but I'm glad that I read your post because it means that someone will come to your rescue and help us both because that's why we're here. I trust that and will pray for your situation to get better because strangers should be so darn nosy!

Lovely_Z
on 7/7/15 6:36 pm

Stupid autocorrect I meant "shouldn't be" and "take" also I didn't realize that I wasn't capitalizing sentences! Wow my bad

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/7/15 6:48 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I luv the your breath is off the chain comment.  I gotta use that 1 day.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Amy M.
on 7/7/15 6:49 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Thanks for the response!

Your idea of getting gangsta made me giggle lol.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/7/15 6:55 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Girl, rant away! I totally get not wanting to lie by omission, but strangers can be so damn nosy sometimes! It's like dude I don't know you like that!, why you all up in my grill? Sometimes you gotta shut them down quick & proper like especially since you're in management.

You gotta do what you think is best, but if your office is as gossipy as you say, whatever you say or don't say is gonna get around anyway. Speak your truth, eventually they'll move onto the next topic, its just how it goes. Good Luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Lovely_Z
on 7/7/15 8:26 pm

I totally agree, and thanks for being nice about my comment. I just had a bad experience with another member bc I said "dude" but I'm originally from Cali and that's the way I talk! You just made me smile. For a second I thought OH was gonna be too negative and figured that I'd close the account! 

Again, thanks for being nice dude you'll never understand how grateful and appreciative I am for your reply.