Charity for weight loss surgery

Violet88
on 7/4/15 1:17 pm

Surgery in lowes parking lot??  This is a serious matter to me.  I have a lot of health problems. I'm a single mother and I work full time usually 12 hours a day 6 days a week and can't afford insurance. I need to do this for my health and I'm just trying to look for a way to do this.  

Nic M
on 7/4/15 2:12 pm

That wasn't making jokes at your expense. That was just me sharing an anecdote. The context was that I'd like to have saved the hospital costs, but that's just not the way things are done. It was a joke, sure, but not a malicious joke making fun of your situation by any means. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Violet88
on 7/4/15 2:31 pm

Saving hospital costs can be done if done through a grant of a teaching hospital. I found one that does about an hour from me but it's in a neighboring state. I'm calling teaching hospitals in my state Monday to see if they offer the same program.   I'm still undecided about the surgery but I'm just trying to figure out my options. I didn't realize I would get so slammed here by asking. I figured others here might have had it done through grants or programs or had some info on it. 

Nic M
on 7/4/15 2:37 pm

I didn't "slam" you. 

With something like WLS you want to make sure you have a top notch surgeon and a qualified hospital. The ramifications are too great. I had a crappy surgeon who nearly killed me. I chose him because he was in close proximity. If I could do it over, I'd choose a surgeon who had a sterling reputation because too much can go horribly wrong. I'm not saying that teaching hospitals won't do what is required of them. It's just that in this matter, experience counts for a lot. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Violet88
on 7/4/15 2:43 pm

Yes, I would definitely research the surgeon first.  This one I know of he is paid through grants. He's been a doctor for a long time. The grants pay him to do the surgery. It's all in research. If you go this route you follow up through support groups and also long term with the teaching hospital to see how you do with the surgery long term.  I'm really surprised nobody here has heard of this.   I should've researched this before ever posting here but since it was a "support" forum I thought it would be a great place to start.  Boy was I wrong.  I do appreciate everyone who was nice and also the private messages I got from supportive people and them warning me about the jaded people here.   In the future, maybe it wouldn't hurt for everyone to be nice to new people here.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/4/15 5:58 pm - OH

It wouldn't hurt for you not to be so "touchy" with people as well...

This is as actually a very supportive site, but people don't like having a brand new person tell them to move along or how to post or what NOT to post. Some of us have been here MANY years trying to "pay it forward" and have a LOT of information to share. Being snippy right out of the gate is a good way to get your future posts ignored.  (I suppose you don't want to hear that, either, though, even though it is intended to be helpful.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Violet88
on 7/4/15 6:32 pm

Not really cause your opinion doesn't matter to me :)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/4/15 8:09 pm - OH

Ditto.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rocky513
on 7/5/15 6:45 am - WI

Wow, Violet88,  You just shut down a very nice vet who could REALLY help you.  She has a PhD in psychology and works with bariatric patients who are trying to get surgery. She is also has many years of RNY experience to share.  Too bad her opinion doesn't really matter to you.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

hollykim
on 7/5/15 12:21 pm, edited 7/5/15 12:21 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM Pacific Time, Violet88 wrote:

Not really cause your opinion doesn't matter to me :)

you getting surgery doesn't matter to. Us, Either.