Lap band tubing is split between port and band

asherz892
on 7/1/15 8:42 pm

Hi I had my lap band surgery in December of 2012, everything was going great for the longest time and I have lost about 50 pounds altogether. I started noticing some differences last year and I finally went in for a fill in November of 2014 and my doctor was having problems getting fluid out of the band. I just went and got an upper gi xray with barium and they told me that my tubing is split in the middle and I've been reading up online and I'm just scared to death. I'm only 22 years old, barely making it on my own the way it is and I'm just so scared of another surgery and so on.

Bette B.
on 7/2/15 7:34 am

First, relax and breathe.

Next, ask your surgeon what the plan of attack is. Do you need to have the whole thing thing replaced, or just part of it? It may be less of a surgery than you think. But you have to ASK YOUR DOC and stop reading crap online. Call the office TODAY so you can get your mind at ease ASAP.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

asherz892
on 7/2/15 10:03 am

Luckily I have an awesome boyfriend who knows how to calm me down and get me to stop worrying . I'm trying to get a hold of my doctors office today just hope they pick up soon. I am my mothers daughter...worry worry worry about potentially nothing.

crystal M.
on 7/2/15 11:43 am - Joliet, IL

Bette- correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was a non-surgical way to fix tubing that had leaks or tears.  Maybe it was a bull **** post I read long ago.  But I remember reading about being able to fix leaky tubing without surgery.

asherz892
on 7/2/15 1:42 pm

I'm not sure if that's a thing or not but my tubing is split in the middle like there is a portion that goes to the port connected to the port and a portion connected to the band and the ends are not connected in the middle. Not like a crack or hole in the tubing. I haven't actually talked to my doctor about it yet. It's nice to know what the problem is but the fear of not knowing what's going to happen next I guess. I just called and spoke the nurse and she is going to call me back, I told her what they found and she sounded kind of astonished. I don't know. I'll update when I talk to her again.

asherz892
on 7/2/15 2:05 pm

Nurse called me back, she talked to the doctor basically said that the only thing it means is that all the fluid in my band has leaked out so I don't have any restriction right now, doc said not to worry about it. Also said that it will be a surgical fix.