Should I get on a scale?

InMySights
on 7/7/15 11:42 am - Canada

I was a "once a week"'er, but now just way myself the first of every month at which time I also go through my wardrobe to take out what's too big and put into circulation what was once too tight and now just right.

I had a hard time with weighing myself once per week because I would get discouraged if one 1 pound lost or YIKES, 1 pound up because of water.  With weighing myself monthly - I am hoping to avoid being emotionally stunted by stalls, etc. 

It's what works for me now, once I hit goal, maybe going back to weekly weigh ins will be better to keep me in check.

OTTAWA:  Ref :Jan '14, Orient:Mar'14, NP- June '14, Nut/Beh.:Nov '14, NutClass :Jan '15, Surgeon:Feb '15, Surgery - April 23, 2015

Navychic
on 7/7/15 11:50 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I also step on the scale multiple times a day, addicted as well that's me.  But I don't really let it bother me too much.  I only track the weekly weigh-ins.  Its just been so much fun to watch it drop since im a relative newbie... but if it starts to bother me I plan to drop back to a once a week as I hit maintenance...

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

The Salty Hag
on 7/7/15 11:51 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I was a daily weigher, but I stopped a few months ago when I opened the door for those *******ly simple carbs. I kicked the carbs to the curb and am once again happily weighing myself every morning. It keeps me accountable...and is an important tool to help me lose the regain. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

karenp8
on 7/7/15 11:57 am - Brighton, IL

When I was in the losing phase I followed my surgeons suggestion and weighed once weekly on Friday(my surgery day). Now in maintenance for over two years I weigh daily to keep myself accountable and stop any gain very quickly.

kaniky
on 7/7/15 12:29 pm
RNY on 05/18/15

I'm seven weeks post surgery.  I was weighing myself way too often and getting so frustrated but fluctuations in my weight.  I spoke with my doctor and nutritionist and we agreed that I would weigh myself once a week.  Period.  After I'm in maintenance, I will be weighing myself more often to make sure things don't get out of hand, but for now once a week is really working great for me. 

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/15 12:59 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I've been on every side of this argument. Pre-op, I weighed weekly, and only weekly. It was the only way I could keep myself sane and not let little fluctuations keep me from seeing the forest for the trees. Right after surgery, I planned to keep doing the same thing, but curiosity (and boredom from being home for a few weeks) got the better of me, and I was stepping on the scale multiple times a day. I stalled really early in week 2 for about 2-3 weeks, and weighing that frequently definitely contributed to some of my "freak out" moments. When I finally started losing again, I told myself it was ok to weight daily, but that I wasn't going to beat myself up about anything. I did that for awhile, then realized today that for the past week or so, I've been either forgetting to step on the scale in the morning or forgetting what it said by the time I get to work anyway, so apparently I broke my obsession with it some way or another.

Weigh, don't weigh, do whatever works for you, just don't let yourself get too caught up in things that are really minute in the long run. Your sanity will thank you, I promise!

NYMom222
on 7/7/15 2:25 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I weigh myself everyday, I feel it keeps me accountable. I weigh everyday, but only record on Wednesdays, because that is the day I had surgery. I also record the month anniversaries, I had it on the 23rd, so I record every 23rd. Helps me to see the trend and what is happening. Yes, you do have to get past the not freaking out if you don't lose or if you stall. It is not uncommon to stall in the first month and it doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. It is kind of like your body adjusting and going "What the hell happened here?" LOL. For me, I wouldn't have it any other way...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/7/15 5:17 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I weigh myself 2x a week, mostly to see which direction I'm heading, or not heading. The scale can drive you crazy sometimes & it can be hard to not get too obsessive about it. I try to keep in mind it's just 1 part of my measurement for success, but it is a reminder to not let things get out of hand. The further out from surgery you get, the more likely old habits can come back. Staying on the scale helps keep me in check.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

sor09
on 7/7/15 6:26 pm

Everything (tool) you can use to help you, go for it. You can use it as little or as much for coping instead of worrying about are you loosing fast or loosing slow or at a stall.  I was compulsive in the beginning... weight a few times a day.. eventually I got tired of it and now only once a week. It's your choice, and enjoy the journey.

Kathyjs
on 7/7/15 6:40 pm

I was the worst!! I would step on scale before and after bathroom even. Many times a day for over a year . Now I don't recommend this but I tossed it in the garbage. It will be 13 years for me soon and I weigh maybe twice a year. Which only works for me!! I go by my jeans.